Is it bad if I applied LIE to char instead of geoshell?

Hello.

Question is simple: I have this product, and due to my stupidity, instead to use LIE's to geoshell I accidentialy add LIE preset to my g8.1f character and got that "glitched skin" with see thru and ather artifacts. I've used ctrl+z to undo it and everything seems normal, but

1) did my action damaged any materials, shaders or layers of my character?

2) if "yes", did it damaged source material files of my character or not?

3) can i fix it by loading previously saved material preset of my character or do I need to redo all sourse material files manually?

Thanks in advance for Your reply

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

An LIE can't "damage" materials. The worst case scenario is that it changed some surface settings, and all you'd need to do is re-apply your skin preset.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070
    In this case, the LIE is only applied to the cutout opacity. So just getting rid of the maps created in the cutout opacity channel of your character (or using crtl+z) should revert everything back. :)
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited August 2022

Layered Image Editor (LIE) adds a layer on top of the original loaded image, like you'd do in Photoshop. When you add let's say LIE makeup to a face, the makeup (a png image with transparency) is added as an extra layer on top of the face material. DAZ then creates a temporary new images for the face named d*.png and located there : C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp

You can at any time deactivate that layer or delete it using the DAZ Layered Image Editor.

To do so, go to your Surface Tab. Left click on an image (like Base Color for the skin for example) > Layered Image Editor. There you can see the layer(s) that have been added to the material. You can change the blending mode, untick or delete those layers.

There is no way to modify permanently a bundle's material using LIE (except if you edit and save the image with a third app of course). LIE is safe (and slow), no worries. Other bundles modify the actual skin textures by creating a new one, but even then, the new file is created in a DAZ temporary folder, not replacing the original.

What you can do when you're happy with a make-up and to speed things up a bit as LIE is insanely slow : apply makeup(s), then when you like the result, copy the d*.png image from DAZ temporary folder, to the folder where are all the textures for your Genesis character. And load that image onto the face.

1/ Then there'll be nor more LIE layering.

2/ Result will be identical.

3/ It'll load much faster.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Thanks!