Issues with Ezra DForce Hair

I'm having a curious issue with Ezra DForce Hair. I'm starting my simulation from memorized pose, but whenever I start it, the hair starts off at the zero standing position off-screen.

So, I thought it was a memorization issue with the parented hair and scalp, so I selected both of them and memorized pose. Same deal.

Then I memorized both of the scalp and hair -- and the hair went flying into space.

What's happening here? I even deleted and loaded a new copy of the hair and this issue still persists.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

I've used Ezra hair a bunch and never had an issue with it. Personally, I've never found a good reason to use Start from Memorized Pose; you'd be better off keyframing the entire figure at frame 30 (or higher, but preferably not much lower), then zeroing the figure at frame 0, mirroring whatever translation changes you made (for example, if you moved the character in any direction away from world center), then simulating the animation.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506

Gordig said:

I've used Ezra hair a bunch and never had an issue with it. Personally, I've never found a good reason to use Start from Memorized Pose; you'd be better off keyframing the entire figure at frame 30 (or higher, but preferably not much lower), then zeroing the figure at frame 0, mirroring whatever translation changes you made (for example, if you moved the character in any direction away from world center), then simulating the animation.

What's the resultant file size with Ezra hair? I've used dForce stand-based hairs using the timeline before, and the file sizes were *atrocious*.

To be honest, I've never paid attention to the file size of my scenes, but I can't see why an animated simulation would cause the file size to explode. I'll find a relatively simple scene where I used Ezra and take a look. 

Well, I thought I'd test it for myself, so I loaded G8F into a scene, put Ezra hair on her, and saved: 432 kb. I simulated the hair as is, saved a new file: 1.1 mb. I added a pose to the 30th frame and did an animated sim, saved a new file: 20.9 mb. So I guess it does really increase the size of your scene file, although I don't understand why the difference is so drastic.

• Gordig said:

Well, I thought I'd test it for myself, so I loaded G8F into a scene, put Ezra hair on her, and saved: 432 kb. I simulated the hair as is, saved a new file: 1.1 mb. I added a pose to the 30th frame and did an animated sim, saved a new file: 20.9 mb. So I guess it does really increase the size of your scene file, although I don't understand why the difference is so drastic.

It has to store the location of each vertex at each frame for the simulation.