running a 3090 in daz, but still no improvements? What am I doing wrong?

I have 3 servers all running iray server. I just purchased a 3090 to replace 2 2080 ti.s I placed those into the second machine and moved the 2070 supers into the third. 2 of the servers are running amd5900x, one with 128gb of ram, the other running 64gb of ram. The third machine is running an intel i9 with 64gb of ram as well.  power is 1500 watts each also.

here is the dilemma...  before i bought the card, rendering a large scene with lights, dome, skin textures, multiple characters (Less than 4) and reflections were taking about 20 minutes per frame. I put in the 3090 and ran the same test, and it only shaved off 30 seconds of time at 19.34 minutes. Is there a setting I need to do, or is it that Daz Studio cannot support the whole 3090 yet?

thanks

Zaner

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Don't know if this is related, but I just installed Daz on a new machine, and I had slow renderings because CPU+GPU was both ticked. After getting rid of the CPU rendering, it all was a lot faster. Just a thing I didn't think of checking at first.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

thezaner said:

I have 3 servers all running iray server. I just purchased a 3090 to replace 2 2080 ti.s I placed those into the second machine and moved the 2070 supers into the third. 2 of the servers are running amd5900x, one with 128gb of ram, the other running 64gb of ram. The third machine is running an intel i9 with 64gb of ram as well.  power is 1500 watts each also.

here is the dilemma...  before i bought the card, rendering a large scene with lights, dome, skin textures, multiple characters (Less than 4) and reflections were taking about 20 minutes per frame. I put in the 3090 and ran the same test, and it only shaved off 30 seconds of time at 19.34 minutes. Is there a setting I need to do, or is it that Daz Studio cannot support the whole 3090 yet?

thanks

Zaner

What is the comparison to? The 2x 2080Ti's? There's likely going to be little difference between a 3090 and 2x 2080Ti

• HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 108

Had a similar experience running Iray Server - did a test render on the 10900KF PC with a Titan RTX which finished in 13 minutes, then connected the 10920X PC with the 3090 and re-ran - render time was 12mins 22secs, but add to that the 3-4 extra minutes used to initialize rendering at all and my conclusion was that Iray Server was not for me.

Even got in touch with the migenius support and upon presenting my logs they told me that this was performing as expected..

Eventually scrapped the 10920X PC and moved the 3090 into the 10900KF; same scene 7mins 31secs :) - so Daz Studio definitely takes advantage of the 3090, Iray Server not so much.