Strand-based Hair Editor Not Working (sometimes)

Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 653

I'm trying to apply hairs to a figure with multiple hair-groups because each hair-group uses a different color.

I was able to apply 6 hair-groups to the main body of the figure and confirmed they all render as I want them to appear.

However, when I try to do the same to a tail prop that is a child of the primary character, I'm unable to get the Strand-based Hair editor to paint on the tail prop. Nothing I do (like selecting just the zones for that hair-group, or slecting the entire prop) allows me to paint on the tail prop. I'm following the exact same steps I took for painting on the parent figure, but this is where I'm unable to get DAZ to allow me to create any more hair-groups.

Is there a limit on how many hair-groups can be created in DAZ?--edit: Okay, I just tried to apply more hair-groups to the main figure, and had no trouble with that.

Or is it an issue with me trying to paint a child-attachment to a body that already has Strand-based Hair-groups??--edit: I unparented this prop and still cannot paint any hair-groups on it.

It appears to just not like this prop for some reason....???

I hope somebody can help!

Thanks in advance,

Ryuu

Strand-based Hair Editor=Fail 001.jpg
1003 x 731 - 190K
Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

Are your normals on the tail facing in the right direction?

Try to paint on the backside of the tail.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 653

felis said:

Are your normals on the tail facing in the right direction?

Try to paint on the backside of the tail.

Yes, I had tried that, too. No joy for that, either.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

I imagine you have it as an obj-file.

Have you tried to import a new and just try to add SBH - not that it should be any different, but one never knows.

I am not aware of any settings that should prevent you from painting SBH.

If nothing works, then maybe try to attach the obj, then I can look at it.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 653

felis said:

I imagine you have it as an obj-file.

Have you tried to import a new and just try to add SBH - not that it should be any different, but one never knows.

I am not aware of any settings that should prevent you from painting SBH.

If nothing works, then maybe try to attach the obj, then I can look at it.

Thanks Felis,

I got the effect I was wanting by replacing the tail prop with some primatives to be in the shape and position I wanted and they took the SBHs okay. At least for the scene I was aiming for. I just got the finished render last night.

The prop I was trying to paint was a posable tail figure I had built using Blender and DAZ following a tutorial, so it may have been something caused by it not being made correctly. For futurer scenes with the characters in different poses, I'll have to come up with a different articulate figure or something.