Cathy Hair not rendering properly

I am trying to use https://www.daz3d.com/cathy-hair-and-oot-hairblending-2-0 because I liked the way it looked on a model I got from R-city. When I render the image I get really bad head coverage and it looks like crap. (left head in image)

When I set my "Nvidia Iray" and make any change it looks good (middle head in image)

Within a minute or two, or if I move or change anything, my Viewport looks like the right head in the image. 

Obviously I'd like the hair to look like the middle image/what the hair is supposed to look like. 

I have never had this problem with any other hair I've used male or female. I've tried a couple of different hair colors. Any ideas?

Thanks. 

CathyHairExample.png
1920 x 1080 - 2M

Comments

• bpfrocketbpfrocket Posts: 36

Eh, I think I've figured at least part of it out. I had forgotten when I originally attached the hair it said it was "unsupported" and went through all of that stuff. I looked back at the asset on Daz and it's originally for a bunch of figures in the "XXXXX 7" catagory. It's probably just not able to map to the Gen8F figure very well. I tried it on another figure and it looked even worse, the "scalp" portion ended up looking like she was wearing a partial face shield. I guess I'll just have to find a G8F hairstyle thats close.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

OOT's Cathy hair works fine on G8F.  It's a hair prop that gets used A LOT. 

I don't know where you, uh, went wrong or what you mean by "all that stuff", but I just tried an autofit (not recommended, btw) on P3D Chrissy for G8F, and other than making a little forehead adjustment to get the cap right, it works fine with and without hairblending.  Krashwerk's model shouldn't be the problem, either.

The correct steps are:

Use ONLY Iray (MDL) materials for Iray renders.

Click the APPLY FIRST! icon and wait a minute or so.

The order you do everything else in doesn't really matter, but typically it's

Choose Base colour

If you want to use blending, turn blending ON with the ON button.

Choose Strength, Alpha Mask, Blending colour

Fiddle with translucency and gloss depending on lighting, etc.

Cathy on Chrissy.jpg
    1108 x 1108 - 847K
    Cathy on Chrissy 2.jpg
    1108 x 1108 - 876K