What files can i delete to free up space on my C Drive

i've asked this question before and have followed the advice (i now have a separate D drive that install manager installs to) but still my C drive is getting bloated with Daz stuff... basically its the zip files that are located on the C drive under:

(C) > Daz 3D > Applications > Data > Daz 3D > InstallManager > Downloads.

My question is what would happen if i deleted the zip files?... it would free up a third of the drive space.

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,114

You don't need to keep these - in theory you can always download them again. OTOH, downloading a number of them can cause issues depending on your network connection (speed, data cap). I much prefer to download to an external usb drive. But in general, you do not want these files cluttering up your C: drive.

If you want to go the usb drive route - make sure it is formatted as NTFS before using it, then create a diirectory for the downloads. I believe in simple, so mine is dim-download on my G: drive. Copy the existing files to the directory, then start DIM in offline mode and change the Package Archive path to the new directory (gear icon, top right; select Advanced Settings, then Downloads) and click Accept. Then go ahead and delete the C: drive directory.

Or you can just delete the files - and there's an option on the main install tab at the bottom "Delete Package Once Installed"; click that and DIM will clean up the directory for you.

• namffuak said:

You don't need to keep these - in theory you can always download them again. OTOH, downloading a number of them can cause issues depending on your network connection (speed, data cap). I much prefer to download to an external usb drive. But in general, you do not want these files cluttering up your C: drive.

If you want to go the usb drive route - make sure it is formatted as NTFS before using it, then create a diirectory for the downloads. I believe in simple, so mine is dim-download on my G: drive. Copy the existing files to the directory, then start DIM in offline mode and change the Package Archive path to the new directory (gear icon, top right; select Advanced Settings, then Downloads) and click Accept. Then go ahead and delete the C: drive directory.

Or you can just delete the files - and there's an option on the main install tab at the bottom "Delete Package Once Installed"; click that and DIM will clean up the directory for you.

I thought as much and i appreciate the suggestions which i have followed,

thanks.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2022

Not related to DAZ, but damn useful nonetheless.

WinDirStat is a handy tool that generates an easy to read graphic view of your folders/ files for a given drive or folder. You can clearly see what's using space and how much in C:.

Windows being the same crap as it always was, compared to Linux/Android, etc : when you uninstall something, even using the excellent Revo Uninstaller, there is alway a lot ! of stuff left behind. Sometimes Gigabytes of useless data for just one app uninstalled. And also tons of files like crashdumps, logs, etc.

WindirStat helps to see those things and definitely helps to empty some space.

You should give that a try too ;)

But as said thereabove, best option is definitely USB external drives. You can get 5TB Western digital hard drives for about 110$. I have 5 of those, bought about 1 per year. It's definitely worth the investment ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on