Better graphics card, worse performance (in some cases)

So I recently upgraded my graphics card from a Radeon Rx Vega 56 to an RTX 3060 Ti. By every measure the RTX 3060 Ti should be far faster, but I've noticed that viewport performance in texture shaded mode is significantly worse. In particular, the Vega 56 could generally show animations at pretty close to 30fps, while the RTX 3060 Ti struggles to produce a few frames a second. Does anyone know what the issue could be? Is there some kind of settings I have to update? I've already tried the card with some high end games and it works fine.

Also, I noticed that whenever I load a scene I previously built, it spends some time converting everything for Octane, which it didn't do before. Is this necessary or important or is there a way to disable it?

Comments

• The Octane plug-in must be installed, otherwise nothing would happen live (though it does leave data objects in scenes which would have to be loaded even if there were no plugg-in on the current system).

In the past AMD cards have given better OpenGL performance than nVidia, and texture Sahded is an OpenGL mode - however, if there is a difference in the presence or ansence of the Octane plug-in, or in what it is doing wiuth the new GPU vs the old, then that may itself impact viewport performance.