Is it possible to connect a newer Nvidia card to a monitor that takes 2 DVI Dual link inputs?

Hope this is the right place to post this in the forums.

I'm trying to look into finally getting an Nvidia card (like the 3060), but I have a monitor that takes 2 DVI Dual link inputs. The RTX 3060 seem to have 3 DisplayPort ports and a single HDMI. None of the 3000 series seem to have DVI ports.

I really like my monitor, so I want to find a way to work with it. 

One option is to use a DisplayPort to DVI dual link active adapter. I'm not sure how well that works.

Other option is to leave my monitor connected to my existing basic graphics card (which has the DVI outputs), and use the new card (when I get it) for just rendering out.

But then, I'm not sure whether Iray previews would work. I'm also hoping to get into Unreal Engine at some point and use my DAZ assets in there. So just not sure what's the best way forward.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited June 2022

Yes they make adapters

Amazon.com : hdmi to dvi cable

Amazon.com : displayport dvi

I have one. They work well. I also got my monitor connected to the onboard card and my 3060 still renders. Now I would say it depends on it your old card is in the PCI-e Slot.

I played Assassin's creed origins the higher I set the graphics settings it showed how much memory my 3060 was using. 

WIN_20220610_06_08_25_Pro.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 981K
    Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 306K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

Oh, I got a real-life example, My laptop.

20220610_071340.jpg
    3120 x 4160 - 3M
    20220610_071353.jpg
    3120 x 4160 - 3M
  • PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

I don't need to because of input type or anything, but I still run my monitor out of the original port and my 2060s is only used for rendering and it works really well, so that's definitely an option.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 876

Thanks very much AgitatedRiot for your insight! (And for even taking the time to share pics!!) smiley I'm glad to know that you're able to run 2 cards, one for rendering and the other lower end card for the monitor. I may have to rely on that at first. Does it affect the Iray preview etc?

Unfortunately, those cables you linked to won't work in my set-up. As I mentioned I'm using a DVI dual link and that's at a higher resolution. HDMI to DVI cable is only single link (with max resolution of 1920 x 1080). Each of my 2 DVI dual links has a resolution of 1640 x 2048 - together they're 3280 x 2048). My husband was telling me that a passive DP to DVI adapter or cable won't work for this either. The only way to achieve such a high resolution through an adapter is by using an active DP to DVI dual link adapter. There were some mixed reviews of how successfully people were using this, so I wasn't sure. If anyone else is getting good results with these, I'd love to know.

Thanks Phatmartino! I don't want to part with my monitor, so it's very good to know that the two card set-up works and that it's an option I can choose! smiley

With the leaving two cards in you can keep your monitor. I missed the Dual DVI portion of your post. Daz you have options on which card or both to render. Your PCI_e bus will, or could divde in half from 16x to 8x, depending on what kind of motherboard you have and processor. I don't know how this affect DAZ in rendering. I'm looking at IPS monitors my self for the higher resolutions. I kind of miss the old crt screen you could get high resolutiion from them. Tell your husband he was right.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 876

Thanks AgitatedRiot. I'm going to give it a go with two cards then, and see how it works out. Have to see if this will work with Unreal Engine too - I'm curious to try UE5 out.

Well, I can't say I miss the CRTs for their sheer size and weight. My monitor is heavy, but if it were a CRT, it would be a total elephant!

I can also login to Windows through my TV with RDP. It's an SAMSUNG 75-Inch Class QLED Q60A Series. Keyboard and mouses work with the TV. Don't use it much the wife would have a fit.