Strand Based Hair Tutorial For Fur?

Are there any strand based hair tutorials, specifically for fur?  I'm trying to get a thick layer of fur, because I don't want the base skin to be visible, but if I increase the density to 300 or more, I get another problem, the color of the hair becomes darker.  Is there a trick in getting lightly colored hair when you need it to be very dense?

And just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to having multiple layers of SBH objects?  Does anybody use multiple layers, if so, for what purpose?

Comments

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

You might want to check out the older videos on YT for LAMH.

Don't know about the color issue.  But yes, the fur LAMH generates is often in several layers, for styling & density reasons mostly I guess. There's a lot of geometry created too so splitting things up that way helps a great deal.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068

Thanks for the reply.  Well, compared to human hair, which is usually long and flowing, you can see the color better, because you can see the sides.  But, my fur hair is very short and dense, so you mostly see the tips, which might make it look darker, I suppose.  Not sure how to lighten the color up without making it less dense.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I've never used the built-in Strand hair system with DS, but the vids I saw showed it to be very similar with LAMH. There should be a way to set colors for Root, Tip, and Spec. It also allows settings for the geometry for the base and tip. Perhaps fiddle with those settings.

Here's something I'm playing with:

BunnySlipper Test.jpg
    1034 x 905 - 429K
  • Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2022

I like the color. :)

I've tried setting all color parameters to a very light color, but I think it's just the way the hair sticks out that's making it look dark.  I think maybe the hair needs to flow at a slanted angle to make it look lighter, so the sides are exposed more, rather than just sticking out straight.

Post edited by Seven193 on