Problem with item #53033 Nylon Stockings for Gen 3 and 8 by iWave

jukingeojukingeo Posts: 711

Hello All,

I have been having a strange problem with product ID #53033 Nylon Stockings for Gen 3 and 8 by iWave.

I had purchased it a while ago and it has a problem that comes and goes.  At first I had thought it was a poke through issue, and I had just made sure that the stockings were expanded enough so that there wasn't poke through.  But that really wasnt it.  So I had found out a pattern.  IF the stockings were rendered close up enough, it worked fine.  See attached Stockings Test One Below (Click on attachment for clear Picture):

Now, when I zoom out a little and render again, this is what happens.  See attached Stockings Test Two Below:

Nothing else was altered except the zoom distance.

As you see, a large chunk of the front of the rendered stockings just drops out and the edges become rough, but are of the original texture of the stockings.  I have no idea why this is happening and I don't have the issue with other products.  One that comes the closest to this style is in the Tessa Lingerie package, product ID: 61433.  However, those stockings don't come up high enough.

I would like to get this working with the Nylon Stockings package and would appreciate any information as to why this is happening, and what the solution is to fix it.

Thank you,

Geo

StockingsTestOne.png
800 x 800 - 1M
StockingsTestTwo.png
800 x 800 - 1M
Post edited by jukingeo on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

I suspect that what you have are "render artifacts" caused by Opacity, Shadows and Camera angle not playing nice.

It's a common issue with skin tight items that are see through, with 3Delight you used to have to set the Shadow offset as low as it would go, or set the item to not cast shadows, no idea if that is even possible in Iray as I don't use it very often.

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 711
    edited August 2022

Bejaymac said:

I suspect that what you have are "render artifacts" caused by Opacity, Shadows and Camera angle not playing nice.

It's a common issue with skin tight items that are see through, with 3Delight you used to have to set the Shadow offset as low as it would go, or set the item to not cast shadows, no idea if that is even possible in Iray as I don't use it very often.

Yeah, I pretty much only use Ira y as 3DL doesn't compare to Iray.  It also doesn't work right on my system.  I have another pantyhose package similar this made by Outoftouch that works better, but it is pantyhose and yes I can turn them into stockings, but I don't get the nice laced tops.  I was hoping there was a fix for this, but if not I am just going to have to remove it from my system as it is pretty unuseable.  

Thanks anyway.

Post edited by jukingeo on

Any more ideas on how to fix this issue (using Iray).

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872

Just did a quick check as have in a current scene (Iray - DS 4.16.1,43 Beta) .

Top of stockings have their own mat zone in surfaces and have own jpg mask under cutout.  Would start by playing with this.  Delete mask first. Or change cutout.  Should be 100.  See what happens.  Then add & try others manually.  For reference, the top of the stockings in my scenes do works fine at all distances.

• thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151

What character skin are you using? I would try a different skin on the character as an experiment to see if the same thing happens.

If it looks okay with one skin but not the other, then I would compare the surface settings for those two skins and see if there's something different about them, like one is a PBR and the other is Iray Uber, or if there's a big difference in SSS settings, or something along those lines.

Also, as an experiment, see what happens if you turn off the Glossiness Layer geometry shell under the Nylon Stockings in the scene, see if that makes any difference. Obviously I know you want to use the glossiness layer even if that's the problem, but it might help troubleshoot the issue if you narrow it down.

If you have multiple lights in the scene, I'd try turning them on one by one and see if it only happens with one of them as well.

So far in my testing, the most significant change is the distance.  If you are up close, it seems to work fine, but pull away and then the problem rears it's ugly head.  That is what is weird about this whole thing.  As for turning off the glossiness?  Naw, that is the whole fun of pantyhose and stockings.  You WANT the ladies legs to be nice and shiny :).

• I have just come across a similar problem with a glass shader and the solution may be similar for you. For me, the solution was a combination of ray trace path length in the render tab (should be -1, was 5) and reducing all material IOR values so they were closer to 1. The initial setting was 1.55 and reducing to 1.2 seemed to work for me. I'm speculating, that if that solves your problem, then it may be due to internal reflections occurring in the gap between the stocking and the leg. Anyway, may be worth trying. Regards, Richard.
  • BstyBsty Posts: 2

did this ever get solved?  i'm having the same problem and it's maddening.  iwave's pantyhose look great.  you'd think the stockings would behave exactly the same...

• Saccharose03Saccharose03 Posts: 5
    edited December 2022

Bsty said:

did this ever get solved?  i'm having the same problem and it's maddening.  iwave's pantyhose look great.  you'd think the stockings would behave exactly the same...

I also encountered this issue recently. It's caused by the inappropriate value of "offset distance", which is a parameter of "Glossiness Layer", the child node of Nylon Stockings. 

Since iWave's nylon pantyhose works fine, I referred to the parameters of it and found that the value of "offset distance" came larger than the one in iWave's nylon stocking, to be specific, 0.005 vs 0.001. So I increased the value of  "offset distance" to 0.005 and the problem disappeared. In fact, you don't necessarily need to set it to 0.005, bigger value like 0.02 also works, but considering that stockings are skin tight clothing, so the value is better to be set as small as possible.

The results are shown blew:

test_default.png
    901 x 881 - 509K
    test_005.png
    901 x 881 - 507K
    Post edited by Saccharose03 on

Sorry it has been a while since I looked at any new entries on this post.  Since then I had purchased Iwave's Nylon Pantyhose for Genesis 8 Female (item #64395).  So it is funny you metion that.  The issue doesn't present itself with that product.

I will give changing that parameter a try with the 53033 as it is, that version also handles Genesis 3 figures.