What would you like to see in Bryce 8?

boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Heads up Brycers. Let's let DAZ know we are here. We want Bryce alive and well and WE want a future for Bryce. What would YOU like in a new version of Bryce. I'll start.

A real eco-system (possibly based on the instancing capability, but honed to specifically apply to vegetation)
A fixed bridge (that's a DAZ Studio issue, but hea, it's the same people)
Subsurface scattering
Object based lighting (i.e. object light emitters)
a more robust render engine that will handle larger files with more ease and speed
A modified node system for texturing
Support for strand based hair on DAZ figures.

Next ...

Comments

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited June 2015

Oh on, please not a Node texturing system like the one in Vue. A thousand times no.
    I'll go hang myself if Bryce 8 starts using the Node method that I hate, loathe, and detest.

The Ecosystem idea is good. That's one feature of Vue that makes it a bit worth while.

How about a generic Vegetation Lab, for making bushes, tumbleweeds, (heh heh), flowers, etc.?

SSS Skin texturing ability for imported poser human models is another good idea.

How about the ability to pose poser models in Bryce with some kind of plugin like Vue has?

Fix up that goofy, confusing, 8 bit, 16, bit, Terrain height map editor mess that makes the infamous "steps" God, that mess drives me crazy.
    Make the darn thing automatically remove the "steps" so I won't have to keep re-reading David and Horo's instructions. Lol

It's late and I'm pooped.

Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited June 2015

you guys really should read the other thread on this :roll:

found 48 - quit after that !

Post edited by bigh on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    you guys really should read the other thread on this :roll:

The other half dozen or more threads :roll:

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Just make it so it works on my new iMac so I don't have to keep this old MacBook in service anymore... I'd be happy (for a short while at least) :-)

edited June 2015

chohole wrote,"The other half dozen or more threads"

So let's admit it. We are flogging a dead horse, or at least a donkey that the Daz3d company has sent packing.
    The donkey named Bryce in the photo is uttering some profanities.

bithday_gift_1.jpg
    900 x 753 - 68K
    Post edited by Retro Lad on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Lets just say that DAZ 3D were aware and some were following the first, really long and involved thread on this subject, which unfortunately is no available now as it was on the old archived forum. That was a very productive thread and produced some good, well thought out and knowledgeable ideas from many people, some of whom were involved when the changes that have been made to Bryce since it came to DAZ 3D were being discussed. So you can almost guarantee that whatever is said here has already been said several times before.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,510
    edited December 1969

That's why I don't repeat it. And I wager that many options we got since Bryce 5 haven't even been discovered, at least I don't see much of them used in the galleries.

edited December 1969

Horo wrote, "And I wager that many options we got since Bryce 5 haven’t even been discovered, at least I don’t see much of them used in the galleries."

Horo,

Which options are you referring too?
    I could try some render experiments with them and if my renders are any good I'll post them. May take a while though for me to finish them, and with my aging computer I don't know how long they will take to finish rendering. Lol

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

Many options are not discovered but many option lack in bryce. A real instancing lab with the possibility to create a plants echosystem like in Vue, a new terrain editor like in Vue, everything to give a new breath to our "nearly" dead favorite software.. the list is too long.. 64 bits.. G.I.. ambiant occlusion.. sss..

I'm working on vue right now and I get so much improvment and the first one is render time.

However, I just can't live Bryce because it is so much simple compare to Vue..

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,510
    edited December 1969

Which options are you referring too?

This wasn't meant personal. There are always a few artists around that push things to the limit and if/when those get new options, they'll also use them. I'm looking at several galleries and Bryce 5.0 is still much in use or artwork that could have been made with it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, if the tool suffices for what artwork you have in mind, that's fine.

The Light Lab has much improved with fill-, distant-, and dome-lights and including/excluding selected objects from the light; IBL has many new options since Bryce 6.1 including separate soft shadows and DOF as well as include/exclude objects, light from the inside; TA works great, and with the upgraded lights and IBL opens a plethora of effects, including reflecting light from a mirror; the Terrain Editor sports terrain import/export as 16-bit since Bryce 6.0; Tree Lab improved, list sorted, trunks look better, BTO trees; DTE got Curvature in the Color and Blend modes; the Materials Lab got Curvature and Anisotropy (I don't mention Displacement which is experimental at best); the Instancing Lab is not that bad, could be better but is usable; we also got single instancing; ... We do see artwork in the galleries that use these new options, but few.

This all doesn't mean there's no room for improvement, I also have a long list, but until we get them - or some of them - I try to squeeze out what's available.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

I'm not quite ready for Bryce 8. I've just started exploring Bryce 7.1 Pro.

HOWEVER, I sure would like to see a Bryce 7.2, fixing some of the known issues, and cleaning up time spent going in and out of labs. Just the non-functional "Undo" button in the terrain editor is enough to justify another rev. It would be nice if doing a save after almost everything wasn't so necessary. Some of these errors irk me simply because of how MUCH more stable Bryce 5.5 was. As it is, to save TONS of frustration, I now build in Bryce 5.5 on one machine, then take that file to Bryce 7.1 Pro on another machine for lighting and if I feel the need for the Instancing Lab or a particle generator. (Um, besides that, I can share a Bryce 5 file with Bryce 7 users, but not visa-versa, but that's a given, and not the point here.) Oh, I also admit being able to save a group object as a mesh, and bringing it back in to replace the object is a nice feature, but I haven't tried it, yet. Still exploring.

Lets not be so anxious to jump into 8 until they can prove they can get 7 working right. Another faulty version is sure to kill Bryce.