Old files worth loading?

boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have several 3.5 inch floppies and a few more CD's with my older Bryce matterials and objects on ... would they be worth digging out and installing ...or is the improvements in Bryce such that they would be fairly useless at this point? This goes back to Bryce 4 and earlier.

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

As far as I know, there is no reason why they wouldn't load and it may be a fun project to see how they render straight up and then use some of the improved features of Bryce and compare the differences.

I know I would. :)

• boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
    edited June 2015

Sorta what I was thinking ... so as I look for my Bryce reference book ... by Ms. Kitchen ... a HUGE book, I will also look for my floppies and CD's Toon Bryce. WooHoo!

P.S. the book is "Real World Bryce 4" by Susan A. Kitchens. Didn't have the title in front of me ... but had to look it up out of respect for the author.

Post edited by boni_m_ab7b32f625 on
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Years ago a friend sent me a copy of Susan A. Kitchen's fat book, “Real World Bryce 4”. Where is Susan now?
    I vaguely recall that Susan A. Kitchens belonged to some Bryce Learning Retreat that was held each summer on a Utah ranch.
    Those were the days when it looked and felt like Bryce was going to conquer the world,

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,304
    edited December 1969

@Zooks - I agree with TheSavage64. By the way, there are Kai's Power Tools that came with Bryce 4. They still work on Bryce 7.1. Real World Bryce 4, a great book, still valid.

@FlashGarcia - Susane is still around as AuntieAlias http://www.auntialias.com/ with even a few Bryce 2 and 4 information. Her site used to host the Bryce Talk but that's not available anymore.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Zooks said:
    Sorta what I was thinking ... so as I look for my Bryce reference book ... by Ms. Kitchen ... a HUGE book, I will also look for my floppies and CD's Toon Bryce. WooHoo!

P.S. the book is "Real World Bryce 4" by Susan A. Kitchens. Didn't have the title in front of me ... but had to look it up out of respect for the author.

Toon Bryce :coolsmile:

toon_town.jpg
    800 x 600 - 384K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

Chohole

Nice I like that :-)

I've got some stuff from 5.5 that seem to work fine on 7.1 Pro.

edited December 1969

I have reloaded and worked on some of my old Bryce 3 files, couldn't find any of my Bryce 2 ones.

That one is Bryce 4, and I don't have a back up of the Br4 file, unfortunately

edited December 1969

I posted this over at the "show us your renders" thread but seemed appropriate here as well. Probably my second "real" render in Bryce. I was determined to put a "realistic" person in it. That's a Poser 3, Posette. A static prop for a dress I took great pains to make the hair layered and transparent for realism and the eyes I added a transparent ball with reflection for a more realistic look as well. Then I played around to get the fairies and the effects on the orbs.

Magic.jpg
    768 x 614 - 30K
    edited December 1969

LOL I remember using terrains in Bryce to make Skirts for my Posette fairies, and wings out of symlats. That would have been in Bryce 3

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Zooks said:
    I have several 3.5 inch floppies and a few more CD's with my older Bryce matterials and objects on ... would they be worth digging out and installing ...or is the improvements in Bryce such that they would be fairly useless at this point? This goes back to Bryce 4 and earlier.

you still got a 3.5 on your puter - wow
    haven't had one in years !

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Zooks said:

Yes I still have a floppy drive on one of my PCs In fact I still have a floppy on 2, but disabled it on the bios for one. That one was built for me in 2006 but is still functional, if limited compared to the newer one I use mainly. I could soon re enable the floppy if I wanted to

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Zooks said:

On my main PC running XP I have still got the 3.5 fitted in the tower from the time I retro fitted my Amiga 1200 into it. It is on its third PC motherboard the Amiga having been retired :) Haven't used it in years though so perhaps it doesn't work

edited December 1969

I picked up a USB 3.5 floppy at Goodwill several years ago ... it comes in handy once in while. I even have around 150 unused 3.5 discs. *shrug*.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Zooks said:
    I picked up a USB 3.5 floppy at Goodwill several years ago ... it comes in handy once in while. I even have around 150 unused 3.5 discs. *shrug*.

did you get the one I gave away :-)

edited December 1969

Do you live in western WA? ;)

edited December 1969

Alas, I did find my "Real World Bryce 4". It was totally destroyed with mold. I'm off to Amazon to order another copy ... they start at .01 cent.

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited June 2015

A gift to the moderators

rat_02.jpg
    650 x 393 - 46K
    Post edited by Retro Lad on