Idea: Promotional Book for Bryce

boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Over at Renderosity, there is a thread that may be of interest to some hard-core Bryce addicts. And a means to jump start renewed interest in a much under-considered program with great capabilities. I already said my background with Bryce goes way back and that I"ve moved away and returned. I'm showing this link to all my old stomping grounds as far as Bryce is concerned. Here is the thread: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2890548

I hope you will consider any help you can give to this project. The support there is low in quantity ... but high in interest with the few who are enthusiasts.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2015

Trouble is the Bryce forum over there is virtually nonexistent, so the chances of anything ever being compiled are very slight nowadays.

It's a good idea, but need more than half a dozen people involved.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • boni_m_ab7b32f625boni_m_ab7b32f625 Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

This is why I'm expanding it's message. The idea is good and there are good people there. I'm taking it to Delphi as well (a onetime major Bryce place, but the "old-timers" are still there for the most part. And I'm presenting this to a publisher I know. The purpose is to get Bryce exposure and added support. The book could be well received in whatever form it takes. It's a good idea IMHO.

edited June 2015

Well of course the problem here is that the person who suggested it said that Renderosity should be in charge, which is rather strange considering that Bryce is owned by DAZ 3D and the Bryce forum here is much more alive than theirs and this should have been suggested here, rather than over there. Just my 0.02p

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Well, I didn't want to disrespect their efforts, but that is one reason I brought it over here to the "Owners" of the software. I'm looking at a publisher who worked with Poser and a couple others who published previous books about Bryce ... I own several. Fact is the only reason I moved away from Bryce was that the vegetation was low quality and difficult ... I used Vue for many years ... but have a soft spot for Bryce and want to help bring about new interest in it. The Rendo. forum's hearts are in the right place, now to get the efforts to the right outlet.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,304
    edited December 1969

Yup, I was invited by Karl a fortnight ago (I'm BryceHoro over there because Horo was 2 letters short). Seems an interesting project I'll certainly fully support even though the success is uncertain at this early stage. I usually don't participate in the forum but jump in on request. I have nothing against it, I just cannot be active everywhere. The Bryce gallery is still quite active.

edited December 1969

Wow, 2 letters short? I must have registered before that rule went into effect ... I'm "Boni" there. I do spread myself thin, as I'm a moderator at the Poser Forum there. But hea, my interests are expanding ... backwards it seems but this is all renewed for me.

edited December 1969

Poser forum mod? hmm, maybe I had better not make my normal quip around you then, about the fact that I use Poser as a plug in for Bryce.

Oh whoops, I just did. :coolgrin:

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Zooks said:
    Over at Renderosity, there is a thread that may be of interest to some hard-core Bryce addicts. And a means to jump start renewed interest in a much under-considered program with great capabilities. I already said my background with Bryce goes way back and that I"ve moved away and returned. I'm showing this link to all my old stomping grounds as far as Bryce is concerned. Here is the thread: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2890548

I hope you will consider any help you can give to this project. The support there is low in quantity ... but high in interest with the few who are enthusiasts.

well after going over there and looking at the renders
    the book would have to be Free !

edited June 2015

Grandted on some of the forums and galleries the Bryce renders are a bit ... rudamentory, but if we can help jump-start the Delphi Forum folks, there are some gifted Brycers over there.

Hea, I know there is a ... duel between DAZ and Poser. It's cool. I see them as complimenting each other. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The same with Vue and Bryce. They all have features that make them the "best" at that "thing". I say have a varied toolbox and I stay away from the politics of it. Fun teasing is encouraged however. ;)

Post edited by boni_m_ab7b32f625 on
    edited December 1969

They need to come over here and show us they are still around, that is the best way to get DAZ 3D to recognise how large the Bryce community still is.

edited June 2015

Exactly ... I'm contacting them today. I won't be as active as I'd like to be ... while looking for my Bryce books ... I found boxes of books ruined by mold and I have to trash them and go through more boxes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed over the "Real World Bryce 4" book. It's going to be a big clean-out. I've sadly lost some treasured books.

P.S. oddly it's a good clean out ... since I can no longer "read" as well as I use to with my visual impairment having changed from surgery.

Post edited by boni_m_ab7b32f625 on
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

How about a book chronicling the sad, sorry, history of Bryce that doesn't sugar coat it with happy face baloney. A book in the manner of "Accidental Empires".
    The history of an important segment of mid range CG software, for the last 15 years or so, was corrupted, crippled, and mutilated, by the greed and stupidity of the owners of Metacreations. The fall began with them.
    A title?
    How about "The Bryce Chronicles", or maybe, "How Metacreations Ruined the 21st Century"

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2015

The idea of a book is nice. Who would decide what pictures go in though - obviously you'd want the best ones in, but not everyone might agree what are the 'best' (and then you have the purist and non-purist camps). Who would buy the book and where would it be found? Seems like a great idea but it involves a lot of considerations (doesn't mean it's not doable).

I personally think it would be more productive for Bryce to have people contribution over at this site in terms of images, forums etc., repeatedly asking DAZ when they are going to get on with a new release etc. I'm not sure a book will do anything to contribute to Bryce's future unless it reaches potential new users who will buy existing Bryce products and can be vocal about wanting a Bryce update - and that would require quite a bit of marketing I suspect.

I think a magazine might be a better way to go - though that would have it's own complications too (posted more on this over at the 'other' site)

Just my two pence worth - I'm open to the idea though.

Post edited by Eva1 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,304
    edited December 1969

There was once a project for an on-line magazine like Carrara Cafe/3D Expo Magazine but for Bryce, I can't find the link anymore. David and I submitted content for the first issue but we've never got any feedback.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    There was once a project for an on-line magazine like Carrara Cafe/3D Expo Magazine but for Bryce, I can't find the link anymore. David and I submitted content for the first issue but we've never got any feedback.

If the cotributers are there and enough content a magazine can be published at ISSUU where tha daz mag is.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Yes I contributed some pics to this too - it's disappointing that nothing ever came of it. I think a magazine for Bryce would be a good thing and could work to get more folks interested in Bryce.