Loading old scenes after hard drive replacement

Will these old scenes have issues if the path has changed? For example, the now dead drive was F and Daz content was in a folder like this: F:/documents/my daz dimm library 

It's a long story why I had that odd path. Anyway, if the new drive has a different path will that impact loading old scenes? Will it throw errors and say it can't find the content or does it look in whatever I have set as my content directories?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

in my experience, yes. I had 2 folders of saved scenes awhile back and after getting a new PC I moved them over to the new one with the only difference being I used DIM to install content as opposed to my manual install from before. No matterr what path I configured, I could not get the scenes to load without tons of errors trying to find things.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

It shouldn't, because objects in a scene are basically just bookmarks. As long as DS has valid references to the assets you use in a scene, they should load just fine, barring any custom content or objects outside of your current content registry.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

This is one of those "it depends" situations.

Normally with DS4 native content, pathways should start "data", "runtime", "people" etc, so if it's installed correctly then it should load without issue on any machine.

Doesn't always work like that though, as I have seen Scene/Subset files with full pathways in them including the drive letter, so those are going to cause issues.

Imported content (Poser, FBX, OBJ, DAE) can also cause issues, when you save a scene or subset with imported content, DS writes a lot of data into the DUF file, but it also writes a lot of DSF files into the "data/auto_adapted" folder.

With Poser content DS writes pathways into the DUF file, that way if the files in the "auto_adapted" folder go MIA, then DS knows where to go looking to find the original Poser files, normally those pathways start with "runtime", but I have seen them start with the drive letter.

No idea about the other 3 import formats as they either end up going through "Figure/Prop Asset" or the trash can.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 905
    edited June 2022

All of my scenes use either DS store content or content specifically for DS from other stores which I puit into their own library to keep things sorted. Hmmm....I am quite curious how this will all play out as my new drive comes in today. I had hoped Daz used relative paths but I'm getting a bit paranoid this may not be the case!

Could I open those files in Notepad++ or something to get an idea of the path or are they encrypted?

Post edited by Riggswolfe on