DS makes my PC 'hiccup' periodically while rendering

feldarztfeldarzt Posts: 128

Hey guys!

I’m not sure now when exactly this started, but it’s somewhere in a ‘few months’ or ‘less than a year’ margin. I don’t think I’ve had this issue before (like a year+ back).

So... DS version 4.20.x.xx (currently 4.20.0.17), nVidia drivers 512.59, neither GPU, CPU, nor RAM are utilized in full (or even in 2/3) during rendering. Yet as soon as I turn on Iray mode (rendering or the viewport draw mode), my PC starts ‘hiccuping’, like freezing for a second every 10 seconds or so. Weirdly, it affects the ‘whole’ PC, all the running software. Even mouse movements are affected.

Um... What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?
At first, I thought it might be this or that specific scene issue (go figure, maybe some of them are too heavy), but now it’s obvious that it’s something else as it continues happening even with simple scenes.

Post edited by feldarzt on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293

Have you checked the temperatures?

• feldarztfeldarzt Posts: 128
    edited May 2022

Yeah. Seem to be normal enough: ~55 Celsius on the CPU, ~60 on the GPU, ~80 on the GPU memory.

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you checked the temperatures?

Post edited by feldarzt on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

What are you using to monitor CPU, GPU and memory utilization?

At default settings, the Task Manager does not show 'correct' information about the GPU

What kind of system do you have, which GPU an how much RAM?

The Task Manager and GPU-Z for monitoring CPU and GPU respectively. As for the system, the OS is Win10 Enterprise LTSC (don't ask), and the hardware is as follows: Core i9-11900K, Gigabyte Z590 Gaming X mobo (with the Z590 chipset, obviously :) ), 64 GB of DDR4 RAM running at 3000 MHz, Gigabyte Aorus PCI-E 4x 2 TB M.2 SSD, GeForce RTX 3900, Seasonic Prime PX-1000 PSU, 8x Iceberg Thermal IceGALE Xtra 140mm as case fans and 2x of those as CPU fans (because there's no such thing as excessive cooling) Some hobbies require expenses.

PerttiA said:

What are you using to monitor CPU, GPU and memory utilization?

At default settings, the Task Manager does not show 'correct' information about the GPU

What kind of system do you have, which GPU an how much RAM?

Ok, have you 'taken control' of the OS?

I'm thinking disabling indexing and such.

Huh. That actually helped! The hiccups haven't disappeared entirely, but at least now I can watch a movie while rendering!

Thanks!!

Any other advice about what to turn off in the OS? :)

edited June 2022

Windows is like a small child or a puppy, once it realizes mummy is not looking, it starts doing things mommy wouldn't approve wink

Off the top of my head, set the power saving options to everything on and running all the time, and where ever possible, set any and all update options to non-automatic.
    Still running W7 here at home (for smaller footprint, better speed and less clutter), so can't check all the things I changed at work on W10

Edit: One place that could give a clue about, what's causing the hickups, Computer Management->Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application and System

Post edited by PerttiA on

Yes, the power settings are set to running all the time since the OS installation. Mostly 'cause I never turn my PC off.

Win7 would've been my choice too, but it doesn't support the new hardware. Hence Win10.

Thanks a lot, I mean A LOT, for the advice, and for pointing me to the Event Viewer!

Unfortunately, it continues to happen. I'm hugely puzzled because no such thing happens in other software, including games, so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware or OS issue.

Since my last post, I've updated the GPU drivers (tried both Studio Driver and Game Ready Driver), the mobo drivers, the OS, and the SSD firmware. The temperatures are okay too.

I realize this looks to be a rare thing to happen, but I still hope that a solution can be found. And I simply don't want to be left alone with a mystery I can't solve by myself.

An additional piece of info I've uncovered is that some of those hiccups (but weirdly not all of them) are synchronized with the "Nvidia driver has stopped responding and recovered" reports. Or rather the other way around, the driver stop reports coincide with the hiccups. However, those reports aren't even displayed in the Windows notification thing and can only be seen in the logs. And they don't stop the rendering process or anything else.

Okay, I'm not a voltage expert. So I thought providing info about GPU status during rendering would be helpful.

Does anything seem abnormal in these readings?

The power draw ones seem to drop and rise back when DS reports "Render target canvas was written".

rend.png
    388 x 1002 - 33K
  • feldarzt said:

Okay, I'm not a voltage expert. So I thought providing info about GPU status during rendering would be helpful.

The power draw ones seem to drop and rise back when DS reports "Render target canvas was written".

Have you ever found out the issue?
    I never had this problem until recently and it's incredibly annoying.

Like you I own a 3090, everything is up to date.

No issues in gaming or anything else.

• ...Seasonic Prime PX-1000 PSU... 

The maximum power of the power supply is 1000 W, and the total power consumption shown in your screenshot is 1123.5 W! Have you tried turning off at least half of your case fans?

• oddboboddbob Posts: 367

feldarzt said:

Looks fine. The power draw fluctuates as the load fluctuates. Voltage on a 3090 is nominally 1.1v stock, can be lower.

• oddboboddbob Posts: 367

vectorinus said:

...Seasonic Prime PX-1000 PSU... 

The maximum power of the power supply is 1000 W, and the total power consumption shown in your screenshot is 1123.5 W! Have you tried turning off at least half of your case fans?

Some of those readings are breakdowns or repeats measured in a different fashion. Power use looks normal. Fans don't draw much power in the great scheme of things and are useful for moving air about, best leave them running.