Instancing fur?

I've bought some characters (such as Reynard, the fox character) which can cause crashes on some systems because of the amount of processing power needed to render all that detailed fur in iray.

So I wondered: Could fur be instanced? I don't know if it's possible to instance fur across the surface of a character's body but, if it is, it would really help with these high power renders.

Maybe there's a plugin or a script?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,340
    edited May 2022

Instances have to be identical (beyond scaling and location), the hairs generally are not.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

Instances have to be identical (beyond scaling and location), the hairs generally are not.

I take the point, but if it's a choice between having two thousand unique hairs which won't render and having seven unique hairs which are then instanced and render very nicely I would be happier with the latter.

• I'm going to experiment with UltraScatter Advanced Instancing and see if I can arrive at a solution.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

You might want to check out LAMH products along with the editor.  I doesn't use dForce hair rather it exports strand based hair. It's not instancing per se, rather it uses RMan guides so you have control over a number of aspects including density.

• Doc Acme said:

You might want to check out LAMH products along with the editor.  I doesn't use dForce hair rather it exports strand based hair. It's not instancing per se, rather it uses RMan guides so you have control over a number of aspects including density.

Thanks. I'm trying various things. Another idea I had was to render the fur of the anthropomorphic Genesis character separately and then superimpose it onto the character's body in a 2d photo programme.