Why is DAZ studio slowing down so much?

In January, I bought a new computer, and began to slowly reinstall assets. I was very happy with how much quicker it was to work with DAZ. But....it slowed down considerably since. I mean for instance that if I want to, say, makes a character's head rotate with the sliders, I can't immediately move the slider, and once moved, it takes some seconds for the head to actually rotate. This in "texture shaded" mode. Of course, it's even much slower in Iray mode. I guess that it could be that since I've also installed other softwares on the computer, and have little RAM, maybe it doesn't have enough memory (since unfortunately nowadays many softwares seem to run things in the background even when not in use).

But I can't help but wonder if it isn't the fact that I've more assets installed in DAZ that slows it down, and if it won't become worst and worst as I install more. I vaguely remember reading that for instance when you add a character to a scene, a lot of other things related to the character load as well.Is that the case? And would adding RAM help with such an issue? Should I limit the number of assets installed in DAZ (for instance install most of them only when I need them for a specific render and uninstall them after)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

I believe the main thing that's talked about is the number of Morphs you own for a particular Genesis Figure, like Genesis 8 Female for instance, increasing the loading time of that figure into a Scene because it has to load all the related Morph Sliders (and seemingly Expression Sliders) that you'll have access to while working with it in DS.

Once loaded into a Scene, I'd imagine other things are what would affect lag in posing, etc. Things like Smoothing Modifiers on the Figure, Clothing, Hair... Massive amounts of Geometry in those products if that's the case (some Hair Products seem to be what I experience causing the most lag), possibly high SubD Levels and of course possibly Draw/Viewport Settings in DS. That might be worth looking into what's been talked about in these forums by Google searching. I know at some point in the past I looked into it and tried to change any recommended Settings... and/or hopefully some others with more ideas about what can increase performance might be able to chime in... 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,032

Phatmartino said:

I believe the main thing that's talked about is the number of Morphs you own for a particular Genesis Figure, like Genesis 8 Female for instance, increasing the loading time of that figure into a Scene because it has to load all the related Morph Sliders (and seemingly Expression Sliders) that you'll have access to while working with it in DS.

Once loaded into a Scene, I'd imagine other things are what would affect lag in posing, etc. Things like Smoothing Modifiers on the Figure, Clothing, Hair... Massive amounts of Geometry in those products if that's the case (some Hair Products seem to be what I experience causing the most lag), possibly high SubD Levels and of course possibly Draw/Viewport Settings in DS. That might be worth looking into what's been talked about in these forums by Google searching. I know at some point in the past I looked into it and tried to change any recommended Settings... and/or hopefully some others with more ideas about what can increase performance might be able to chime in... 

That is exactly what I find as well. The first thing I do after a character loads is check their settings and reduce them and on so. I have also started to avoid some of my favorite hairs because they jam things up. Or close their 'eyes' until I am ready to simulate or render. But I have to remember to turn things back on, I hate being mostly through a render and realize the HD is off, or something else is closed down and have to stop and fix. Also watch for some of the environments, they can cause your system as soon as you load them. So do read any links in the forums, or if you buy and find it does that to your computer, return it. 

I have a large library and a new computer, and two others that had their databases messed up, so as I install them, I am being careful to pick and choose characters that from my experience I use, or have special qualities or add-ons I used. Same for clothes, hairs, props, environments. 

Also, the PA, https://www.daz3d.com/mattymanx has a number of product in their store with 'resource saver' in the name to help with some issues. Depends on what you need. That is why I am pointing you to the store only. I think I have all of them.