Daz Central breaks my databases

2»

Comments

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

ebslater26 said:

I hadn't heard of Content Gatherer. That's fantastic, thanks! I was trying to figure out how to manage that exact problem. I should have known that someone else would have solved it by now. :P

It's been a life saver for me. Just keep in mind the limitations.

If DS should change the save file structure, it will probably break.

One of the other things I do is keep one Product Directory for all of the items I always use; Base Figures, certain lights, scripts, etc. These items never get uninstalled.

Then I create a Product Directory for this month and one for each project.

Everything I buy in a certain month goes into that directory. After a couple of months I uninstall those Products and remove the directory. Some of the more useful items may get reinstalled to the "all the time" directory.

Each project gets its own directory as well. Which umbrellas the items I used specifically for that project.

Between the these directories I can keep track of what I might be using for a given project. Allowing me to reinstall assets if I need to.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,861

Another limitation of Content Gatherer is that it doesn't work with content installed with Daz Connect.

barbult said:

Another limitation of Content Gatherer is that it doesn't work with content installed with Daz Connect.

I know it doesn't work with anything CRM, which I think is more a limitation of Connect than anything else. (CRM files only come through Connect, right?)

I couldn't recall whether it works with Central, but not Connect... Or doesn't work with either.

I only use DIM and manual installations, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

I don't know what CRM is (customer relationship management ???). I don't know how that would have anything to do with Daz Connect. I've never tried Daz Central, but it is basically a watered down DIM, so Content Gatherer should work with Daz Central content installations.

DRM, sorry. Too many abbreviations running around in my head.

I think the DRM files are only available through Connect.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Jason Galterio said:

DRM, sorry. Too many abbreviations running around in my head.

I think the DRM files are only available through Connect.

DAZ stopped using those some 5-6 years ago.

edited May 2022

Daz Connect supported content file encryption when Daz Connect first came out, but encryption was discontinued by Daz soon after. Product files that were originally encrypted were released in unencrypted form within a year after their encrypted release. There has been no encrypted content in Daz Connect for years now. I never saw any official statement from Daz about why they dropped encryption after making such a big deal about it at first.

The reason Content Gatherer doesn't work with Daz Connect content is that the installtion forlder hierarchy is entirely different. Every product is in its own folder named by SKU number. There is no high level runtime, data, etc. folders containing files from multiple products.

Post edited by barbult on

Good to know. That makes sense. I only used Connect back when DRM was a thing I guess.

When CG didn't work with it, I went back to DIM.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 653

Hi Jason,

I think the issue has to be with DIM and many of those products that were giving you issues with their metadata.

Currently, I'm reloading all my stuff through DIM in a Z-A order within DIM. I haven't yet reached loading SY's Starry Sky, but most of The Alchemist Workshop products have loaded with that Rainbow-Daz-Head icon. So far, I found a workaround is to just replace the icon picutures with copies of the product pictures from their DAZ pages in the docutments/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Support folder--it's anoying to chase down all the product SKU listings, but relatively easy once one learns the filename format DIM uses: just copy the filename of the .dsx file and paste that into the .png or .jpg filename of the picture.

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

Hi Jason,

I think the issue has to be with DIM and many of those products that were giving you issues with their metadata.

Currently, I'm reloading all my stuff through DIM in a Z-A order within DIM. I haven't yet reached loading SY's Starry Sky, but most of The Alchemist Workshop products have loaded with that Rainbow-Daz-Head icon. So far, I found a workaround is to just replace the icon picutures with copies of the product pictures from their DAZ pages in the docutments/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Support folder--it's anoying to chase down all the product SKU listings, but relatively easy once one learns the filename format DIM uses: just copy the filename of the .dsx file and paste that into the .png or .jpg filename of the picture.

Thanks for the heads up. The confirmation that it wasn't just my files is reassuring.

Admittedly I haven't fired up DS since last week. All the technical issues just took the wind out of my saills. I was planning to go back in later today though.