Why are my invisible objects visible when I transfer from daz to bryce

Eardrum MannaEardrum Manna Posts: 31
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I've heard there where settings but I don't see any. I hit the button to send to Bryce and it just sends the objects over without asking me anything. I would appreciate any feedback as I am still learning.

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

In the Scene tab in DAZ Studio select all. This will select all the items in the scene. On a Windows machine CTRL/right click on all the ones you don't want to be sent to Bryce. Either save as an .obj file or send to Bryce from the DAZ Studio menu (that is the way I do it) and only the selected items should be sent. Sometimes I send everything to Bryce and then select each individual piece, if it allows me, and set the attribute in Bryce to hidden for the parts I don't want to show in the render. This will hide the selected part from the render. I have done this with a hand and then saved it as an object in Bryce and used it that way, just a hand no body :)

• Eardrum MannaEardrum Manna Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply. I've selected all, holding ctrl and right clicking does the same thing as just right clicking. Did you mean left clicking? Everything selected, they are all yellow, than ctrl and click on the ones I don't want, they are not yellow anymore, but they still get show up in Bryce. Also, I wanted to do the attribute thing but my wings are connected to a center, which I can make invisible in Daz, but when I send to Bryce the top of the wings are connected the center and I can't ungroup them so I can't just click on the center that I wanted to be invisible in the first place. The same problem with the shirt I have. I only want the right shoulder showing but when I send to Bryce the right and left shoulders are connected and I can't just click on the left shoulder and make invisible or just delete it. The scene also has 12 frames to it.

edited December 1969

Also, I notice that the wings are 7 different pieces in Daz. But, are only 2 in Bryce ( top and bottom ).

edited December 1969

Another way to try.

Select all the parts you don't want in DAZ Studio and delete them from the scene. Select all that is left and send to Bryce and see how that works.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

This is to be expected. All the bridge does is get the content over to Bryce in the most basic and crude manner. Preserving visibility settings is not important to this crude process. Realize that once the content has been ported over to Bryce a lot of the work needs to be redone. You need to re-adjust all of the materials to fit the Bryce engine which is worlds different than 3delight and is more akin to Iray because it is a brute force raytracer, but it is far from unbiased so again it is a different beast. Setting visibility in Bryce is quite easy so there's no need to be concerned if items get sent over with visibility that you do not want.

As Fishtales has mentioned, typically you want to have the chosen content as the selected item when you send it across the bridge and typically only that which was selected at that instant will be sent. If you have selected a V4 model wearing clothes and some of the clothes are flagged as hidden in DS that doesn't mean the meshes have been deleted. So when you send it to Bryce the entire model is sent and the visibility flagging is lost.

I should also state, that the bridge fuses together all zones which share the same materials. The reason your wings are seven "pieces" in DS is because they really are not 7 pieces but there are seven different material zones. When the mesh is sent over the bridge all zones which share the same uv-map are consolidated, and that is why it appears as only two pieces in Bryce. No information is lost, it actually simplifies everything a good deal.

Another example of this is with the skins. In Bryce you will notice that the character skin zones are treated as individual meshes instead of remaining a true unimesh, same with the various parts of a clothing outfit. This allows you to select each part and edit it as needed. When you select a mesh there is a short list of options listed vertically right next to it. At the top is the "A" for Attributes, and within Attributes there is a "Hidden" option. Use that and you will no longer see the item when rendering but it can be re-enabled anytime you desire

Just to drive home an important point. From my experience, the only parameter the bridge translates effectively between the two applications is Diffuse Color. Everything else including Bump, Transparency, Reflection and Specular, Alpha transparency mapping will all need to be manually re-adjusted once you port the content over to Bryce.

Hope this info is helpful. Keep us posted with any more questions. Best of luck!

edited December 1969

.-. This is turning into a huge project just to hide a couple things. I just learned what you mean with the 7 material zones. I need to just keep training at it.

When I send Aiko over to Bryce, her skirt which had options to make it into a shorter skirt ( in Daz ) seems to work when I render in Bryce ( even doe I can still see the long skirt when it's not rendered). I have Angel wings that someone made a long time ago and in the middle of the wings is a block called center which has 3 material zones on each side with 3 bones in each zone and also one bone for the center. When I send to Bryce the wings turn into a group of 2 objects ( top and bottom ). The center block is part of the top object and if I go to attributes and select hidden, the block turns invisible but the top part does as well since they are now one piece.

I have Poser but I have little experience with it. I'm thinking maybe I could create a Hide Block feature like the Hide Long Skirt one for Aiko's skirt. I wouldn't mind learning a tutorial that would help me do that ( in Daz or Poser ) since it seems like that works.

Well, back to coffee and training ^.^

P.S. Also, if there is a way to make the center block smaller as I noticed tapering was kind of working in Poser but I could only get it to taper vertical. When I try horizontally the wings start to shrink even doe I only have the block selected.

edited December 1969

^.^ I just created a morph dial and turned it up to 100% on the center block. To my surprise, it worked. YAY. And also I went with Fishtales advice and just made invisible what I didn't want to see in Daz and saved as a object. Than loaded the new object back up in Daz and parented it to Aiko's rShoulder because it won't work if I just parent it to Aiko herself. Anyways, everything is good. For now.

edited December 1969

I'm glad I helped in some small way and you got it to work. Well done.