Avoiding large scene files with G3 to G2 assets?

I have a scene where I fitted a G3 hair asset to a G2 figure but after doing that, the scene ballooned from 2 mbs to 40+ mbs.

Then I click the hair on the G2 figure and save it as a figure/prop asset and that brings the scene down to 14 mbs I presume because now the asset as a G2 prop is saved on the drive instead of written into the scene file.

Problem is, it's not the size of the scene files but that it takes a while to still save the scene files, it appears to be saving the, don't know what to call them, 'helper morphs' that assist the hair being adjusted to the G2 figure?

What can I do about this?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

"Normally" the savefiles only contain links to the assets used on the scene.

If an item is not saved as an asset, there is no link and the item must be saved within the savefile - In your case, there is no such hair for G2 saved as an asset.

40+ MB's is still small for a savefile, try 3+ GB's wink

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

it's not the scene file size that really bothers me, it's the time actually. I'm one of those people who compulsively saves every 3-10 minutes and it trips me up ever so slightly when it takes a while to do that because I can see that DAZ is spending a lot of time 'writing assets'

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

When you convert a hair onto another figure, it creates an entirely new asset, it isn't super obvious and you might think it's just a morph or something but it has to have a whole new skeleton and weighting, so yes that must be saved either into the scene file or as a separate support asset. Trying to treat something like this as a morph of the original asset wouldn't make load times shorter because this process doesn't create new geometry or weighting (unless the original asset used parametric weighting, but I don't think that's common any more since the advent of weight mapping).

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

The bigger the size of the savefile, the more time it takes to open and save, that 3+ GB savefile took almost an hour to save and about the same to open.

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 439

Squishy, I'm not talking about making a morph of the entire hair, I'm talking about the 'helper morphs' that DAZ Studio is apparently writing into the save file every single time I save a file with this G3 hair in question.