Advise Needed On Setting Up My New Computer

I am having a custom build computer built and hopefully picking it up today or tomrrow. I am dreading installing and setting up everything again and want to get it right the first time around. My new system is going to have the following:

3090 graphics card

2 2tb SSD Drives 

1 6tb SATA Drive

1 10TB External Drive (already owned with all my daz content on it currently)

I will be installing all my adobe software again, Daz, Blender, Iclone CC and Unreal Engine

My biggest issue for now Is going to be DAZ because I have so much daz content I do not want to burn up my space on my SSD Drives.

Would it be best to install the programs on my normal drive where windows is installed or perhaps put all my programs on the Second SSD Drive and then all my 3d Content on my external drive?

If I install this way will this cause issues with my grpahics card having the content being pulled off my external drive?

Please advise with pro's and cons or ways others may have theirs set up that have a similar system

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

It doesn't matter that much whether to install the programs on the OS drive or the D-drive, even when installed to the D-drive, they must be installed again if the OS gets reinstalled, due to having stuff from the programs stored in the registry (that gets wiped)
    If one is short of space on the OS drive, installing programs on D-drive helps and maybe it's helping with simultaneous data transfers.

If I were to start again, I would still download DS for manual installation like any other normal Windows program, but I would then use DIM to download and install content.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341

Put the content on the SATA drive, although you could use an external, and put the applications on one of the SSDs.

• cstrauss42acstrauss42a Posts: 83

Richard Haseltine said:

Put the content on the SATA drive, although you could use an external, and put the applications on one of the SSDs.

That is the way I was thinking, all programs just installed on windows drive, and content on my 10tb external drive (which is how my laptop is currently set up). My only conceren is with Windows sometimes programs do not play nice being installed in program files folder. Is there any pit falls I might come across with these programs? 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341

Any well-written application should be fine in the Program Files folder, Daz Studio has behaved correctly (separating user data from application) since at least version 3 (and could be tol;d to keep content elsewhere from the outset). Daz Studio is perfectly happy in Program Files.

• I have a windows 10 machine. All the Daz executables and binaries are in their default installation locations on the C: drive. But all of my content is on another drive. It is an internal sata drive with volue label K: Attached is a screen capture of my K: drive folders as shown in teh content directory manager.

2022-05-19_212304.png
    473 x 473 - 18K
  • nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 781

I would:

2TB SSD 1 - Windows and all "work" programs that you normally use.

2TB SSD 2 - Games, programs that you want to evaluate or play with.

6TB SATA - Data, such as documents, renders, scenes.

10TB External - DS Content, which can be moved to 6TB SATA if it is not shared with another machine.  Backups of 6TB SATA.