Making Gens Textures for a Figure that has None

OK. I've run into problems trying to make gens textures for Matthieu. After trying by using his body textures, I made the apply files. (First and second posts.) I also have AO files, and a D file, and an SSS file, and an R file, in imitation of another character recently released by the same artist (K00ki99). These latter files are in Runtime/Textures/Kooki99/Koo Matthieu, along with the other Matthieu files. 

When I try to load the textures, I get an error message, and the log file just says "operation failed." So, I don't know why they won't load. 

I can load each file manually, by browsing in the Surfaces Tab, but I can't tell, other than the default file, where the AO or SSS, etc., should go. 

So, exactly how can I accomplish this?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,186

I am not familiar with this product.

There is another method, where you copy the torso surface, and then select a special UV map that mathes the outer part of the genitalia, like this product https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/77478

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

@felis gives you a female solution, but Mathieu is a G8.1 male character.

3feetwolf at renderotica (the adult store) has a good product named Texture Exchanger for G8M that works well if you own at least 1 similar (skin colors essentially, better have a blue c*ck on a blue character) male gens set of texures. Basically this product helps to "mix and match"  the torso textures set and the gens textures set.

You'll need the Gimp or Photoshop too. If I remember well, the product comes with a PDF user's guide. I used this product for a while, then I created my own masks to make it even better for my needs.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,377

inquire said:

OK. I've run into problems trying to make gens textures for Matthieu. After trying by using his body textures, I made the apply files. (First and second posts.) I also have AO files, and a D file, and an SSS file, and an R file, in imitation of another character recently released by the same artist (K00ki99). These latter files are in Runtime/Textures/Kooki99/Koo Matthieu, along with the other Matthieu files. 

When I try to load the textures, I get an error message, and the log file just says "operation failed." So, I don't know why they won't load. 

I can load each file manually, by browsing in the Surfaces Tab, but I can't tell, other than the default file, where the AO or SSS, etc., should go. 

So, exactly how can I accomplish this?

The first question I have is what format are your files in?  The operation failed thing sounds like a mismatch of formats.  Next, copy those other files into a single folder  just to avoid path problems; I don't think that your problem is that since that yields and error message of file not found..

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

Is the second file your texture? And how did you make it?

I use the Texture Exchanger for G8M mentioned above. It works well, and there is a PDF that guides you on what to do.

Once you have your textures (and they should look like the gens, except  spread out like a bear skin. Find another character that has them and see how they look. You'll need them as a donor anyway. Of course you won't be able to sell the result, if you use a donor.), then open Daz Studio. Load your G8 figure and add the gens. Check to make sure that the figure and the gens are using the same surface shader. G8 uses iRay uber. The gens should load with iRay uber, as well. If not, then you'll have to apply whatever shader type the figure is using. This is important.

2. Select G8 and open the surface tab. Open the surfaces and find the torso. Right click and select copy surface properties. (Not sure if that's exactly what it is called.), but copy the torso surface properties.

3. Select the gens in the surface tab. Right click and Paste the surface properties you copied. This is why they must match. If they don't then nothing will copy. (Also, if the figures uses some properties that the default iray uber doesn't use, then those setting won't copy either. I had one figure so far like this.)

4. Now it's fairly easy to see where the textures go. With the gens selected in the surface tab, you will see the torso texture where all the gens textures go. Replace the colored ones with the DIFF texture everywhere you se them. The bump texture is probably just used one. It is gary scale. Replace it with the gens. bump texture. Like wise with the specular map.

If you did everything right and you didn't alter the hip texture where if connect to the body, then it should match pretty well.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,129

felis said:

I am not familiar with this product.

There is another method, where you copy the torso surface, and then select a special UV map that mathes the outer part of the genitalia, like this product https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/774

Ah, it's Windows ONLY! One of those. I'm on a Mac.

inquire said:

Why is it Windows only? It is a zip file. 

edited May 2022

OK. This is starting to make sense. I have Pasted Matthieu Textures onto the M8.1 Gens forms (I copied the gens forms.) First Screen Shot shows the files I now have. Though they are still labeled "Michael_8_1" They still do have the Matthieu Textures. I did not want to change the name until I test them in DS. 

I also have the Michael 8.1 Files, from the Character and Materials folder. These are supposed to load the Genitalia 02; that is, the UNcircumcised Gens. I did use the Gens 2 forms.

My plan is to Place the Load Gens files in the Matthieu Character and Materials folder. And, my plan is to Place the files with the pasted Matthieu Textures into the Runtime/Textures/Koo/Matthieu folder. Then, I'll see if these files actually load up on the anatomical gens. If they do, I'm then thinking of changing all the "Michael" names to "Matthieu" names. The files should still work then, right?

Is this plan going to work?

For the Screen Shots, the first shows which Gens Texture Files I've pasted the Matthieu textures onto. The second shows the Gen Load Files from Characters/Michael8.1/Materials. The third is a sample, showing Matthieu Textures on the M8.1 Gens form. It's the Default Texture. The fourth is also a sample, showing Matthieu Textures on the M8.1 Gens form. It's the Normal Map Texture.

Pasted Matthieu Textures.png
    511 x 389 - 50K
    Michael 8.1 Files to Load Gens Textures.png
    458 x 356 - 34K
    Post edited by inquire on
    edited May 2022

felis said:

inquire said:

Well, I clicked on the link, went to the page, and it reads (see Screen Shot)..

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 11.54.12 AM.png
    462 x 172 - 23K

inquire said:

Well, I clicked on the link, went to the page, and it reads (see Screen Shot)..

I would say that is misleading.

All it contains is a .dsf file with a diffent UV layout for the genitals.

And I am not aware  that Mac uses different Daz Studio files than Windows.

edited December 2023

felis said:

inquire said:

@felis Your link https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/77478 leads to a G8F solution, wich is not approproate for male gens.

@inquire better try the (Link removed by mod), it works and IMO it is the solution to your problem.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited May 2022

@rosseliani: Well, this too says "For Windows Only." (See Screen Shot.)

By the way, I did think through a method that works with Affinity Photo and, of course, a Macintosh user. I now have gens for Matthieu. I don't know why DAZ doesn't specify that artists must provide such textures. It took me quite a while, but, of course, a good deal of this was time for me to invent my own procedure. Thank you, though, to all who tried to help me. I appreciate your comments.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.18.07 PM.png
    744 x 74 - 14K
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

If that DUF file you attached to the first post is the file you are getting the error with, then I'm not surprised, that is not a DUF file, I "cracked" it open and the file headers are for a PNG.

I created a folder under textures named after me. In that folder, I create a folder for each figure that I've created a texture for and drop the files in there.

Personally, I would name the files however you want them at the end (using care not to overwrite something, depending on where you're putting them. If you rename them afterward, you have to through and re-select all the textures again. Also, I like to put them in their final destinataion for the same reason. Since I created a folder named after me, the textures are easier for me to find at some future date. And easier to backup.

Bejaymac said:

If that DUF file you attached to the first post is the file you are getting the error with, then I'm not surprised, that is not a DUF file, I "cracked" it open and the file headers are for a PNG.

Daz Studio automatically gives the DUF extension to some PNG files it creates, IE the icons created when you save a custom preset. DUF files are text files that can contain images, material presets, pose presets, etc.

DUF files can be compressed (zipped). You can edit the uncompressed DUF files with any basic text editor like the windows notepad.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,272

rosseliani said:

Bejaymac said:

Daz Studio automatically gives the DUF extension to some PNG files it creates, IE the icons created when you save a custom preset. DUF files are text files that can contain images, material presets, pose presets, etc.

DUF files can be compressed (zipped). You can edit the uncompressed DUF files with any basic text editor like the windows notepad.

The .duf is not an extension but p art of the name - file.duf and file.duf.png (and file.tip.png if you add a tip file).

Bejaymac said:

That's the basic torso texture for Matthieu. Right it's not a DUF file. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,272

inquire said:

Bejaymac said:

That's the basic torso texture for Matthieu. Right it's not a DUF file. 

In which case you may not post them, I'm afraid.

Oh, OK. Sorry. But actually it's only a parat of that texture, only the default part. All the AOs, SSSs, etc. were not posted. Still, won't do that again.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

KevinH said:

Once you have your textures (and they should look like the gens, except  spread out like a bear skin. Find another character that has them and see how they look. You'll need them as a donor anyway. Of course you won't be able to sell the result, if you use a donor.), then open Daz Studio. Load your G8 figure and add the gens. Check to make sure that the figure and the gens are using the same surface shader. G8 uses iRay uber. The gens should load with iRay uber, as well. If not, then you'll have to apply whatever shader type the figure is using. This is important.

2. Select G8 and open the surface tab. Open the surfaces and find the torso. Right click and select copy surface properties. (Not sure if that's exactly what it is called.), but copy the torso surface properties.

3. Select the gens in the surface tab. Right click and Paste the surface properties you copied. This is why they must match. If they don't then nothing will copy. (Also, if the figures uses some properties that the default iray uber doesn't use, then those setting won't copy either. I had one figure so far like this.)

4. Now it's fairly easy to see where the textures go. With the gens selected in the surface tab, you will see the torso texture where all the gens textures go. Replace the colored ones with the DIFF texture everywhere you se them. The bump texture is probably just used one. It is gary scale. Replace it with the gens. bump texture. Like wise with the specular map.

If you did everything right and you didn't alter the hip texture where if connect to the body, then it should match pretty well.

I have this product and have tried it. I even got a trial period for Photoshop.  I used it on a male G8 figure, with a SB8, Skin Builder8, skin I made custom for a GF8 figure.  The intent was to generate a new gens map using this for what was to be a GF8.1 model with the gens anatomy that goes with it.  I was able to generate the UV map but it didn't blend in with the skin on the G8;1 model.

I am open to any suggestions anyone might offer up on what I might do next.

Someone mentined they do their own image maps now and I would love to learn that process if anyone could direct me on where to go to learn that as well.

Thanks

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

I think I found my solution.Ultimate PBRSkin Manager

I was using the Ultimate Iray Skin Manager and afataer I updated it and read the PDF again it mentioned that the PBRSkin Manager was the correct on to use for the GF8.1 and GF9 models.

I took a chance and got it and it seems to have fixed my problem on top of the genitalia it also worked the skin to be more like the custom one I created for the GF8 model.

I was able to use the Victoria maps for GF8.1 and get what looks like desired results.

More testing needs to be done but my suspicion is this is the fix I was looking for.

Thank you to everyone that responded.