Daz3d CPU 100% usage after Update

Hi,

Ever since the update to 4.20 Daz is using 100% CPU and really slowing down my computer during rendering.
Sometimes I even get 100% CPU spikes when in idle state or when im working in the scene.

Even with small minimal scenes with just a plane and some props.

Im absolutely sure this happend after the update. I have the latest nvida (Studio) drivers etc.
In Rendering Settings, CPU is not selected. Reinstalled Daz, via DazCentral.

What else to check?

Thanks,

My system:
RTX2070 Super and RTX3070
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
64Gb Ram

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

Does it render on GPU or CPU?

I would advice to attach a log file (Help > Troubleshooting > Log file) for a render to a post.

• pascal023pascal023 Posts: 22

I render on the 2 GPU's

hmm I see some errors in the log, something like this:

2022-05-13 15:20:26.157 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.15  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 1 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:948)

And then it goes to CPU fallback if im correct? What does this mean?

I attached the log.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Are you using Iray preview or Texture Shaded preview?

Both of your GPU's have only 8GB's of VRAM, out of which some 3GB's is not available for Iray rendering (taken by the OS+DS+the scene), the remaining 5GB's is not much if the scene has large textures, high vertex count and/or high SubD's.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341

Also, what driver version are you using - it doesn't sound as if that is the issue, or you wouldn't get errors regarding an attempt to render, but it might be a contributor.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited May 2022

PerttiA How much memory does windows take from Vram? With no scene, just Daz running and Windows how much Vram does it take up?

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

PerttiA said:

Both of your GPU's have only 8GB's of VRAM, out of which some 3GB's is not available for Iray rendering (taken by the OS+DS+the scene), the remaining 5GB's is not much if the scene has large textures, high vertex count and/or high SubD's.

Im using Iray preview most of the time.

Ok 5GB in total does not seems that much indeed. Thanks for the information.

Richard Haseltine said:

Also, what driver version are you using - it doesn't sound as if that is the issue, or you wouldn't get errors regarding an attempt to render, but it might be a contributor.

Nvidia driver you mean? That is the Studio driver 512.59 

pascal023 said:

PerttiA said:

Im using Iray preview most of the time.

Ok 5GB in total does not seems that much indeed. Thanks for the information.

When having problems with Iray rendering, it's not a good idea to stress the system and use resources in places where not necessary, switch to Texture Shaded preview before starting rendering 

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA How much memory does windows take from Vram? With no scene, just Daz running and Windows how much Vram does it take up?

W10 steals 1GB irrespective of number of monitors or any other logical reason (0.3GB's on W7), DS takes some 300MB's and in order to render in Iray there has to be "Working Space", which on DS 4.20 is 1.9GB's (1.7GB's on DS 4.15) if there is enough VRAM available. If the amount of "Working Space" gets below 1GB, one will start noticing the slow down in rendering speed.

If one is using a GTX card, an additional 1GB is reserved for emulating the RTX fuctions in software.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

Thank you.