Decal suddenly showing bright background on all characters that worked in previous renders

Hello everybody,

I'm currently working on a pool scene that involves decals to simulate water running down G8's body, but I've run into an issue that I just cannot resolve.

For some reason if I import a new character into the scene and use the decal it will now have the area where the decal intersects with G8's body show up a lot brighter than the rest of the body (see left side of screenshot).

Existing characters in the scene that use the same decal work just fine. This even holds true for the very same character - I used the same sub scene for a specific G8 - the one I had added to the scene a few days ago (right side of screenshot) still works fine, but the newly imported (and identical) one will have the issue.

While tinkering around I noticed that the issue does not seem to appear when I use a spotlight. In my scene I use several mesh lights (a lamp prop with the glass set to emit white light) and setting just one of them to visible triggers the behavior.

The product I'm using is the WetFX decal kit by KindredArts (https://www.daz3d.com/wetfx-decal--shader-kit), although I don't think it's the product that's the issue here, since it has worked fine in the same scene before. I'm running v4.20 of DAZ Studio with the most current nVidia drivers.

I'm happy to provide more details, I'm just not sure what is relevant.

Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

decal.png
851 x 223 - 461K

Comments

• I am having the same issue now. Did you ever find a solution or cause for this?
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438
    edited November 2022

It's the supposedly transparent background not being totally blank lighting up with light sources. Iray has issues with transparencies and light. I though it had been corrected, but apparently not. I have stopped using decals for this reason.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • skyvvayskyvvay Posts: 7
    edited November 2022
    NorthOf45 said:

It's the supposedly transparent background not being totally blank lighting up with light sources. Iray has issues with transparencies and light. I though it had been corrected, but apparently not. I have stopped using decals for this reason.

I've noticed that if the camera is in very close proximity to the model/surface that the decal is projected on it this issue goes away. Which is also odd. This is definitely a new thing since 4.2 and a bummer because of how useful decals can be. Being super close is rarely an option so other than adding a partial fix for some situations its not helpful. I cannot believe they are going to leave a tool that is actually part of DS this broken. Jeez haha
    Post edited by skyvvay on