How to transfer a character's JCMs from Genesis 3 Male to Female?

I need some advice about transferring JCMs for Genesis  3-8 characters. Few years ago I made several custom characters based on Kids 4 and teen presets for Genesis and these kids and teens were transfered to Genesis 3 Male via GenX2 addon. Most of the little kids required JCMs to avoid mesh distortions on G3M's body mesh, and I had to make custom JCMs in Zbrush (very time-consuming process, I must say). Now I wanted to re-use them on G8M and G8F bases, and converted several boys to G3F via GenX, because all known converters from G3 to G8 can't make cross-gender conversion, as far as I know. So I need a G3F girl to get her G8F twin. But I found that JCMs missing from this automatic transfer, and I have no time to remake them all for G3F too. Is there a way in Gen X2, or within DAZ Studio itself, to transfer all JCMs from G3M to G3F? I've read the manual of Gen2X but missed the exact answer about JCMs (maybe conditional morphs?)
As for transferring to G8, how to do it in XTransfer to get the character with all JCMs at once? 

Comments

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

don't they have pretty different base shape and topology and rigging?

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

Squishy said:

don't they have pretty different base shape and topology and rigging?

Yes, G3 Female has different basemesh, but rigging looks absolutely the same for males and females, and the same problems with extreme shapes, like kids, dwarves etc. I'm not sure for Genesis 8, but it seems their base meshes are different too. If rigging is the same, then joint rotation or bending is the controller, driving JCMs, and theoretically there should not be any problems after transferring, with the same parameters for rotations.

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

that hasn't been my experience at all, if the topology and base shape and joint centers/orientations are different then I would think you just can't automatically do this, but maybe somebody else has a better answer for you!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249

AFAIK that's not possible. The "M" in "JCM" is for "morph." The morph has to exist FOR the concerned figure to be dialed in when the rigging triggers it.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

Catherine3678ab said:

AFAIK that's not possible. The "M" in "JCM" is for "morph." The morph has to exist FOR the concerned figure to be dialed in when the rigging triggers it.

Yes, I know that without actual rotation of any joint I cant't see a corresponding JCM in action. But they do exist as separate files in _data folder and so I think there is a a way to convert them like other morphs for the different basemesh, at least within the same G3 generation. If transferring JCM is impossible because of rigging, then how does work the newest XTransfer plugin, which promises to transfer "all related Correctives, Jcm's, Mcm's and supporting morphs and maintains links. from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8" (according to the official description)? G8 has completely different basemesh and rigging than G3. By the way, can it do reverse transfers - from G8 to G3 with all JCMs and other stuff?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249

wargis said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Yes, I know that without actual rotation of any joint I cant't see a corresponding JCM in action. But they do exist as separate files in _data folder and so I think there is a a way to convert them like other morphs for the different basemesh, at least within the same G3 generation. If transferring JCM is impossible because of rigging, then how does work the newest XTransfer plugin, which promises to transfer "all related Correctives, Jcm's, Mcm's and supporting morphs and maintains links. from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8" (according to the official description)? G8 has completely different basemesh and rigging than G3. By the way, can it do reverse transfers - from G8 to G3 with all JCMs and other stuff?

You know, today I discovered a website where some clever D/S artists are charging hundreds of dollars to convert V4 to G8. So I suppose that if one throws enough money to the right person just about anything can be accomplished. {btw - one can convert V4 to G8 without spending hundreds of dollars}. 

I have NO idea how the XTransfer plugin works, let alone if it'll work in reverse ... my suggestion would be to purchase it and give it a whirl. There's a 30 day return policy period {last I heard it's still good}. Too many things changing these days.  Plugins tend to be encrypted so we cannot see what they are doing. I have yet to see a PA explain the details for precisely how and what their plugins do. So maybe in using it you can get an idea as to what it's doing? Oh, and definitely "read the manual" that comes with it. There's one line in one of the transfer utilities [which may or not be applicable for this one] which if not heeded, will result in a huge morph mess in the collection.