4.20 blurry renders [RESOLVED]

aeyxaaeyxa Posts: 9

After upgrading to 4.20, my images are coming out blurry. I was using a GTX 1070 with 471 drivers or something, then I went to 512 and same issue. I swapped to a whole new computer, so a new daz installation as well with a RTX 3090 and the result is the same. I'm attaching two images where I have emissive planes to light the scene at opacity 1. In one I just have one side light and it's not as blurry but you can still see the face is blurry, that was rendered to 95% convergence and no denoiser. The second one I added more emissive lights and rendered until 100% convergence with no denoiser and you can see it's even worse as I added more. If I use dome lighting only and no camera depth of view it's basically the same as the least blurry image I attached. I've read through the forums and can't seem to find much about this. Anyone have advise for what I should check? Might be something in my render settings, or potentially I'm just not understanding how to use the new lighting changes?

example-new-100-2x-not-denoised.png
1920 x 1080 - 2M
example-95-not-denoised-1.png
1920 x 1080 - 3M
Post edited by aeyxa on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,861

Check Render Setting and make sure you didn't turn on Matte Fog or Ground Fog.

• aeyxaaeyxa Posts: 9
    I'll take a look when I get home, thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe that's the issue though because it happens on a fresh installation as well where all I changed was the resolution. Hopefully that's all it is.

Confirmed they're off.

unknown.png
    665 x 358 - 34K
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Did you happen to increase the Gaussian filter? The default is 1.5. If not, try setting it to Mitchell at 1.

I have all my rendering settings at default, clicked the button again to be sure. Unfortunately, I was already playing with the pixel filter yesterday and didn't see any noticable results. Attached is one gaussia at 1.5 and one is mitchel at 1.0, both look nearly identical and blurry to me.

01-example-95%-log.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    02-example-95%-log.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Any chance your camera has DOF on? It's off by default, but if you're using a specialized camera it might be on. That's all I can think of.
    Nope, it was off in that picture.
    edited May 2022
    I submitted a technical request to Daz and asked for their advice and the old version of the application back so I can get to work again. Been about 5 days of me trying different stuff, and it happened for sure after the update because I was rendering a bunch of scenes when I switched versions and then it started happening.
    Post edited by aeyxa on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

Neither of those renders looks blurry to me, so maybe I'm just not understanding what your issue is. One of the renders in your first post looked very hazy, so I thought that was what you meant. 

edited May 2022

It's subtle, her whole face looks to me like it has a thin layer of blur over it. I think it's probably new iray/raytracing features which is causing it to be blown out, the more I zoom in it's less noticeable and it gets worse the more light I add, such as in the hazy one.

Post edited by aeyxa on
  • GranvilleGranville Posts: 690

Try Mitchell .8

Thanks, I did actually change to 0.7 and that helps, I'll probably go to 0.8 since I think 0.7 is a bit strong. Primarily I think the issue was lighting. After spending more time changing the lighting, specifically moving lights further way and using less of them, it seems to have gotten rid of most of the blurriness I was seeing before.

scene-003-bar-015-23.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    scene-003-bar-007-11.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    scene-003-bar-007-12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M