Installation Managers

Daz Studio currently has three installation managers: Daz Install Manager, Daz Central, and the Daz Studio program that prompts you when you have missing files from a scene you are loading.

I just bought a new computer, and have years of content and scenes.  A few years ago when I installed using DIM, and the software itself, it caused problems with my content and scene loading. Upon reporting this to Daz, they said that if you use Daz Install Manager (DIM) to install some files, and then install other files from the software itself, it will create duplicate files and cause permanent errors in your scenes. So I had to wipe my drive.  

Now that I am re-installing everything, it would be nice to know if that is fixed. 

As I am reloading old scenes, Daz is prompting me about missing files. Manually searching for them on Daz Central has been time conduming, but I am quite scared of installing them from the Daz Studio software given this was a major bug a few years ago. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

As I understand it, the problem isn't necessarily just with installing files more than one way so much as it's installing THE SAME files more than one way, and that is still a problem. It's best to stick to one method, and that method should probably not be installing them within DS (Connect) because some products can't install properly through Connect. DIM is advisable over Central, but if you're going to use Central, use only that. 

• Another potential issue is having nested content directories on the old system. regardless of instalaltion method, if one directory is inside another (e.g. both My Library and My Library/Content set as content directories) the relative paths in saved files may have the wronf starting point (for example, /Content/runtime/Textures/somepath) which will then fail on a different system.