Trying to remove morph influences on clothing

kagekusarikagekusari Posts: 5

Hello,

i have a slight problem, i try to rig clothes and got most of the process down but whenever i morph my underlying figure the mesh of the clothing i made (using hexagon for creation and then the transfer utility in daz3D) is getting distorted.

Can anyone help me figure out what to do so i can remove the morph influence on my clothing items.

I put a reference below so you get what i mean. i also created additional bones which move the connected parts of the clothing, but the distortion still exists.

reference.png
1903 x 649 - 328K
Post edited by kagekusari on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

It is not really clear to me, which problem you are having.

When a clothing item is rigged, it will automatically inherit the morphs from the character. You can find these on the clothing, if you enable show hidden and then click 'currently used'. If that is your problem you can dial it down.

• I am talking about these distortions. I put the Alani body shape on my genesis 2 model and it distorts the yellow rings. I tried messing with bulge maps and it is still distorted.

reference2.png
    901 x 899 - 555K

That is a rather normal problem with large (or small) breasts.

The rigging will add weight to the ring from both the breasts and the torso and distort them.

Two solution I can see:

A) Create a custome morph for the Alani body

B) Make the rings a rigidity group. This is probably the right solution, but not a solution I have much experience with.

There is another option.

You can remove the rings from the mesh, and import them as props and then attach them to the clothing with rigid follower nodes.

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

Why don't create separate rings and parent (no Transfer Utility) to nipple joints ?

• TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172
    edited April 2022

Because this happens with almost literally any piece of clothing you autofit on a female Genesis that has more than B cup size, you should just get on the habit of creating clothing morphs that are character-specific. If your piece gets heavily distorted when you fit it to the figure, it might be better to not fit it before exporting the obj to your modeling software. In your case, reshaping the rings perfectly might be more trouble than it should. These rings should have rigidity set on them, that's for sure, but with the following method, it is not strictly needed.

1- Zero pose your figure

2- Bring the clothing piece to the scene unfitted and unparented. Translate the piece over your figure, scale it and tweak it the best you can so it looks like the figure is wearing it; It doesn't need to be perfect, this is just to ease the morphing process in the modeling software. Sometimes, it helps to enable the smoothing modifier on it and set the collision to the figure.

3- Export the figure and the clothing piece as separate obj files and make the modifications in the modeling software.

4- In Daz, Zero the clothing piece, pose, shape, scaling and morphs. Then fit it to your figure with autofit enabled, disable the smoothing modifier.

5- Bring the morph with morph loader pro (don't forget to check "yes" on reverse deformation in Morph loader pro box). And it is mostly it.

These YT vids go into more detail if you need them.

SickleYield vid that can help: 

Josh Darling vid that can help: 

Post edited by TheCediz on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,863

felis said:

There is another option.

You can remove the rings from the mesh, and import them as props and then attach them to the clothing with rigid follower nodes.

Yes, this is the way to prevent distortion like that. Here are a couple video tutorials to help:

Rigid Follow Node - Mada

Rigid Follow Node - Josh Darling

• thank you all :)
    i'll look into all of this as soon as i have time

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

- Rigid Follow Node is very useful for buttons, buckles, etc. But in this case, the ring goes inside a piece of clothing heavily influenced by the rig. So it's very unlikely that the ring would end up properly set into the piece of cloth with this method.

- Positioning it manually, imported as a prop, sounds like a better solution, but here also one might end up with a very straight and rigid ring that won't fit into the twisted piece of cloth.

I have the feeling (because of the straight angle happening on what seems to be only one of the ring edgeloop) that this is partially caused by the weighing ? That it could be fixed with the Node Weight Brush Tool ? Or you'll have to make extra custom morphs for that ring and the part of cloth it's attached to, that the user will slide according to the average shape of boobs he's using.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

- Rigid Follow Node is very useful for buttons, buckles, etc. But in this case, the ring goes inside a piece of clothing heavily influenced by the rig. So it's very unlikely that the ring would end up properly set into the piece of cloth with this method.

- Positioning it manually, imported as a prop, sounds like a better solution, but here also one might end up with a very straight and rigid ring that won't fit into the twisted piece of cloth.

- A better solution, using DAZ only, would be to put the character in a pose where the ring distorts a lot, and use the Node Weight Brush Tool (Alt+Shift+W) to check which bone has too much influence on the ring. Given the deformation shown in OP's post, it's obvious that weighing of vertices hasn't been done properly. A Smoothing of the (Shift+S) of the weighing would probably attenuate a lot that effect while preventing the top of the ring to be out of its position in the piece of cloth.

The figure apprears to be morphed and not posed, so weight maps are not relevant. A Rigidity Group to limit morph projection (the whole dangling section should probably use an area at the front of the breast as a reference) along with custom bones and morphs for adjustment would seem ideal, though making the ring a Rigid Follow Node might well work as long as there were well-considered adjustment options.

• Richard Haseltine said:

The figure apprears to be morphed and not posed, so weight maps are not relevant [...]

Indeed ;) I was obviously editing my post as you were writing an answer to it ;) I misread the OP's post at first.