How to deal with textures stretching?

Hello guys, Iam trying to make a geoshell body suit, and the texture around the breast area is stretched if I dialed the breast size morph too much.

I know its because of UV stretching, but how do I deal with this?

How did the pros deal with them? Herschel Hoffmeyer, HM etc..., I rarely seen their products has any problems with it, any insight, guys?

Comments

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited April 2022

I usually face the opposite problem if I want to use for example a T-shirt that was designed for an adult woman on a child or male character. Instead of stretching, shrinking is what I have to deal with.
    You can either modify the meshes, modify the textures or modify the UV maps.
    For me modifying the UV maps is the best solution, I use Blender for that. I had to struggle at first to get good results, but now I do it better and better.

Edit: Altough I can fix the textures distortions by manipulating the UV maps, I often have to modify the meshes to fit the clothes to a young or male character, especially near the chest area ( sternum heighr and scale mainly).

And I use Fit Control by Discobob and ZevO when I'm too lazy to create specific morphs.

Post edited by rosseliani on
  • TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

rosseliani said:
    For me modifying the UV maps is the best solution, I use Blender for that. 

Hi, I would be very interested in getting around this issu too. Do you have any tips on how to do it? Or if you know any video that shows the process that would cut it too.

Thank you.

For what it's worth when speaking of the texture stretching on the G8F figure itself, the shop has an awesome product named "Breast utilities 2" by SOTO. 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

To fix that you need (let's say I'd use) a 3D modeling app. Easiest option being to Relax and/or smooth the breast area and import that back as a morph in DAZ. You can see the enlargment of quads in the breast area (Viewport set to Wire Texture Shaded) when you make them bigger. There might be a bundle as TheCediz explains that takes care of that for those who don't want to use another app (such as ZBrush of Blender). But, often, the best option is to consider DAZ as part of a workflow. Not as a tool that will do-it-all.

EDIT : I just read a bit of  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/539521/breast-utilities-2-for-genesis-8-and-8-1-females-commercial, and indeed the stretching happening to your pixels when projected on the default UVs from Genesis, should be fixable using this Breast Utilities Bundle. But this bundles relies on the use of a Geoshell rather than on a morph that relaxes the wireframe, or a slightly modified version of the default Genesis UVs, so... if ? this bundle can fix your problem, it might very well create lots of other complications.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Relaxing the mesh (or UVs, which is not the same thing) might help even out the stretching but it won't eliminate it - if the surface area is now larger then there is going to be stretching using a map made for the original size.

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Breast Utilities 2 are made to enhance the skin textures by replacing them gradually on a geoshell, and as Richard says, using optimised Textures Maps specially made or reworked for the stretched /shrinked meshes (skin or clothes) is the only approach to a "perfect" result.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

Using a Geoshell to make custom clothes, even a tight body suit, is not the best idea.

A solution could be to :

- 3D model your suit on Genesis 8 base default shape (even using the geoshell, why not).

- Import a Genesis 8 with bigger breast in your modeling software and adjust a copy of your finished cloth onto that version of Genesis 8.

- Unwrap the copy of the cloth once adjusted to Genesis with bigger breast. This way UVs will be perfect for huge breast without stretching.

- Copy UVs from that unwrapped version onto the original modeled onto Genesis 8 defaut.

- Bring that into DAZ.

You won't get stretching for the specific body shape you're interested in. But you will get some "pinching" issues if you ever use that cloth on a girl with smaller boobs.

Good thing about Genesis 8 base is that it's an average human body shape. When you wanna hit extreme difformations of the mesh, well you get pinching or spreading of the corresponding polygons unwrapped. There's just no easy way around that, except by doing 2 or more versions of the same cloth, with different unwrappings. Or one unique cloth with eventual morph options and multiple UVs for average and big boobs.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • @Richard Haseltine: Iam afraid that kinda stuffs is way above my skill, Richard (_._") @hansolocombo: Thank hansolo, from now on I will do just that, you cant fit all of the body type with just the base g8f and auto-follow it seem. I guess jack of all trade has it limits as well. @rosseliani: another marvel of technology, that's breast ultilities 2 : D