Crummy changes and problems with 4.2 "Pro"

1) Can I make the universal tool stop highlighting the nodes I touch? I like selecting things like heads and then bend, etc, but having my cursor highlight EVERY. SINGLE. THING. it touches in the viewport is an eyesore and I don't know how to get rid of it.

2) I can't seem to save layouts anymore and Daz3D isn't interested in keeping any of the custom layouts I do try to make. What's up with that?

3) Filament is garbage and I'd like Daz to not open my scene files with it, how do I make it stop doing that?

Thanks for any advice, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

1. Next to every object on the Scene Pane will be a small arrow with a little x or check mark next to it.

Click the arrow to switch to the x. Now the object isn't selectable in the view port.

If it's a large prop environment or you have multiple things you you can make a "New Group".Let me know if you need help with this. It's in the Create menu on the main toolbar.

Then when you click the arrow for the group everything in the group will be effected.

2.The current General Release version has a known bug that causes that.It's a relatively easy fix if you don't want to wait for the next update.Or you can install the beta version that has the fix for this already.

The broke is DS isn't writing the new files because there weren't any old files to check before the file write commit.

The fix is to make new empty files so there is something to check.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/553786/can-not-save-workspace-layout

3. If Filament( or any other viewport renderer) that is left turned on it will stay that way when you shutdown and restart or when you open new scenes. I didn't know of any other way to fix this other than to switch it off/on when needed.

I use the toggle next to the camera controller in the viewport constantly to switch between preview modes.

I've not seen DS turn this on all by itself, so If you're having issues with this it might take little more sleuthing to find out what's going on.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,492

DefaultName said:

1) Can I make the universal tool stop highlighting the nodes I touch? I like selecting things like heads and then bend, etc, but having my cursor highlight EVERY. SINGLE. THING. it touches in the viewport is an eyesore and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Window menu -> Panes -> Draw Settings, and change "Highlight Style". 

• SquishySquishy Posts: 460

I actually like and use the Filament renderer because I can't get good performance out of the Iray preview (quality is great, just terrible performance on my hardware) - but if you really want to, you can disable the plugin permanently:

• DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388

pjzanca said:

I actually like and use the Filament renderer because I can't get good performance out of the Iray preview (quality is great, just terrible performance on my hardware) - but if you really want to, you can disable the plugin permanently:

Ooh, now you're speaking my language. I get what you mean, but I don't find the lighting preview to be good enough for me to tell. Thank you!  

murgatroyd314 said:

DefaultName said:

Window menu -> Panes -> Draw Settings, and change "Highlight Style". 

Ah, yes, my eyes can relax again, thank you! 

IceCrMn said:

1. Next to every object on the Scene Pane will be a small arrow with a little x or check mark next to it.

Click the arrow to switch to the x. Now the object isn't selectable in the view port.

If it's a large prop environment or you have multiple things you you can make a "New Group".Let me know if you need help with this. It's in the Create menu on the main toolbar.

Then when you click the arrow for the group everything in the group will be effected.

2.The current General Release version has a known bug that causes that.It's a relatively easy fix if you don't want to wait for the next update.Or you can install the beta version that has the fix for this already.

The broke is DS isn't writing the new files because there weren't any old files to check before the file write commit.

3. If Filament( or any other viewport renderer) that is left turned on it will stay that way when you shutdown and restart or when you open new scenes. I didn't know of any other way to fix this other than to switch it off/on when needed.

I use the toggle next to the camera controller in the viewport constantly to switch between preview modes.

I've not seen DS turn this on all by itself, so If you're having issues with this it might take little more sleuthing to find out what's going on.

Okay I'll give this a go, thank you! 

IceCrMn said:

I got far enough in #2 to know that I need to create empty session UI files for the layout to overwrite (I think?) 

I don't know how to make such a file, and will try to find a solution on my own, but if anyone knew how to that'd be great.

• Daz Studio 4.2 didn't have Filament - 4.20.0.2 does, and also has the issue with layout saving, so I assume that is what you mean (version numbers are not decimals).

See My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz. - Daz 3D Forums  for more on the session files, and where to get a script that will create the dummy files to enable saving of the sessio layout.