4.20 Renders once, poor quality, not again

Running 4.20.0.2, MSI 3060 (12 GB) & MSI 3060 TI (8 GB), current driver is 512.15. Also tried 472.47. Same issue. Windows 10. Both GPUs are enabled and CPU is checked OFF. No CPU fallback. I have not disabled any of the other engines. (If you need further technicals, please let me know.)

I haven't used daz for a while, had 4.1X with no issues (not sure which one was the last one I used.) I don't recall clicking to upgrade, might've been automatic to 4.20. I haven't changed any of my render settings and they worked fine previously.

Iray wasn't working at all, saw the posts in the forum and updating my drivers. Iray works for a bit, I can switch cameras and it's fine, but then in a few minutes it gets hung up on "preparing scene". 

When I click render, I'll get about 23 seconds in and it's done. It's grainy as hell. Trying to re-render fails. Switching to a different camera fails too. I have to close the program and restart it, to get another grainy render, but only the one.

The log file says: Rendering with 0 devices. "No device specified or usable" and "no worker to render with: aborting rendering error" (see below)

I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. I'm a newbie when it comes to Daz, so please be patient. (I also have to leave for work, but I'll check here as soon as I get back.)

2022-04-24 15:56:18.392 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No device specified or usable

2022-04-24 15:56:18.392 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 0 device(s):

2022-04-24 15:56:18.392 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...

2022-04-24 15:56:18.392 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend error: No worker to render with: aborting render

2022-04-24 15:56:18.392 [ERROR] Iray :: Internal rendering error.

2022-04-24 15:56:18.510 [INFO] :: Saved image: C:\Users\steph\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png

2022-04-24 15:56:18.514 [INFO] :: Finished Rendering

2022-04-24 15:56:18.539 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 3.78 seconds

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

It is only part of the log. Try ro attach a larger part as a text-file attachment.

Ny guess is that you are running out of GPU memory.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,900

As I understand it, newer versions of DAZ use newer versions of IRAY, which in turn use more VRAM all by itself, before even considering geometry, textures, etc.

A scene that fit on your card in a previous version of DAZ/IRAY may not fit anymore with the most recent version.

My understanding is rudimentary though, so I could be wrong. Others please chime in.

• I"ve attached my log file. Hopefully it helps and y'all will know what's going on. To me this is the line where the problem shows it's ugly head: an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer in <internal>:937

That's when the first render stops (or shortly there after). While I do haver afterburner running, before I start daz I ensure my overclocks are back to default and I restart my computer. Your insight into this would be appreciated.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

You have only 16GB's of RAM, which means that you are using the pagefile as an extension of RAM.

You should have at least twice as much RAM as you have VRAM

• PerttiA said:

You have only 16GB's of RAM, which means that you are using the pagefile as an extension of RAM.

You should have at least twice as much RAM as you have VRAM

Hmmm if you were extra RAM just laying around, where would you be? Okay, I actually do have extra ram... somewhere... I'll try that and see if it helps. I had two GPUs previously, but one of them might have been my original 1660 (no super or TI, just 1660) and before I got my 3060 TI, so the 16 GB of RAM might not have been an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126
    edited April 2022

Your GPU(The 3060 ti) is running out of VRAM and you have CPU fallback disabled.
    2022-04-25 00:00:55.542 [INFO] Iray ::     CPU Fallback: disabled

If your scene won't fit on the 8GB card(smallest VRAM GPU of multi GPU setup), neither card will be used and your render will drop to CPU , if it's enabled.

If CPU fallback is disabled, your renders will fail.

As @PerttiA posted, if you also exceed the system RAM Windows will use your hard drive as temporary memory storage.
    Your harddrive is orders of magnitude slower that RAM so the entire system will slow to a stuttering glitchy mess as Windows thrashes RAM pages to disk and back again.

The short version:Enable CPU fallback and/or make less memory intensive scenes.

Features cost RAM/VRAM. High sub-D levels , denoising, high resolution textures and maps etc,etc..

Save were you can.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • IceCrMn said:

Your GPU(The 3060 ti) is running out of VRAM and you have CPU fallback disabled.

If your scene won't fit on the 8GB card(smallest VRAM GPU of multi GPU setup), neither card will be used and your render will drop to CPU , if it's enabled.

This is not correct - each card can fail separately without affecting other card(s)in the system.

As @PerttiA posted, if you also exceed the system RAM Windows will use your hard drive as temporary memory storage.
    Your harddrive is orders of magnitude slower that RAM so the entire system will slow to a stuttering glitchy mess as Windows thrashes RAM pages to disk and back again.

Features cost RAM/VRAM. High sub-D levels , denoising, high resolution textures and maps etc,etc..

Save were you can.

• Okay, so I didn't have any extra RAM and went today to buy another 16 GBs. I now have 32 GB and I am having the same issue.

The scene is a dorm room, with 2 people. I have large portions of the scene not visible (like the bathroom, roof, one of the walls) and you are telling me with a 3060 12GB and a 3060 TI 8 GB and 32 GB of RAM, it's too big of a scene to render? I don't even have anything for "outside" (no sky or trees or anything.) It is a VERY basic scene.

I even pulled up my first scene, one character in "level 19" environment and just rendered the scene and the quality is certainly lacking. See the attached picture. Original done in Aug 2021. The one on the right was done just moments ago, with a 3060 TI that I didn't have (my 2nd graphics card at the time was a 1660) and +16 GB RAM. The original render was also made WITHOUT CPU fallback. Strictly using 2 GPUs, my OG 3060 and a 1660 (no TI or Super, just a plain, regular, 1660.)

The new RAM did create a better render than what it was doing 2 days ago with just 16 GB of RAM), but when I tried a 2nd render, it was a blank file. IRAY stops working too. I have had CPU fallback turned off since I learned how to do that last year, and I had no issues back then. 

Oh and just to be clear, the Level 19 render, is just ONE model and just the Level 19 environment.  No other models. No outside scenary. It was my VERY first scene I set up in DAZ back in August. It can't get any simpler than that and if you look at the picture, you'll see the render I did back in August is significantly better than what I am getting now.

Heads.png
    1958 x 935 - 4M
    txt
    txt
    log.txt
  • drew.hopkins1drew.hopkins1 Posts: 15
    edited April 2022

Interesting update: I deselected the 3060 TI in the Hardware tab (both in the Photoreal Mode & in the Interactive (Biased) Mode), so it's only using my OG 3060 and the render took ~4 minutes to accomplsih and looks good. I took a second render,different angle, without having to restart. Stopped it, changed the angle, and re-started it and this one is about 4 1/2 minutes and looks good. Comparing it to previous render (this one from 09/2021), it's about the same.

Without restarting, I switched it to the 3060 TI in both sections. First render was about 30 seconds and grainy and the 2nd render was empty and came back after just a few seconds. I then switched it back to the OG 3060 and when I went to render, DAZ locked up. Had to restart.

Restarted DAZ and tried the TI again, ... about 30 seconds into the first render, blue screen, restarted the computer. After restart, first render was 30 seconds and grainy. Second render stopped after a few seconds and was blank.

Something clearly does not like my 3060 TI. (Log file attached in the event you can find something out from it.)

txt
    txt
    log (1).txt
    Post edited by drew.hopkins1 on

DS is complaining about SubD 5 creating too dense geometry and taking it all the way down to SubD 1 for some item in your scene, are you doing microscopic studies?

In general the size of your textures and maps looks high, for example T_Hair.jpg is 8000x8000px, which doesn't make any sense, why use such a large picture and then use lossy compression on it...

Your render settings seem to be geared for low quality rendering as the convergence threshold was reached already with about a thousand iterations

• Need help translating what you are saying. No, I'm not doing anything microscopic. I found the line that says what your refer to as "SubD" (what is "SubD"?) and it's DS_shape_a0C_3290. Without removing items from the scene, is there a way to find which one is causing this? (Update: It has to be something with the Thistle model. Pulling up my old duf file with just Rosalind & the full dorm room, I do not encounter this issue.)

For the size of T_Hair.jpg (and others), I have no answer. I liked the look of the hair and that's what came with the product.

For my settings:

• Size 1920x1080
    • Max Samples is 5000
    • Max Time is 7200
    • Rendering Quality 1.00
    • Rendering Convergence Ratio is 95.0%.

Those seemed like the most important settings, but I let me know if I am missing something. Should these settings be different? I got them from a youtube video for beginners, which is what I am. Played with it for a bit, put it aside for a while and now I'm back trying to make things work.

Anyways, thanks for your help. For the moment I'm just using my OG 3060 and at least I it works. 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited April 2022

I think this is what caused your blue screen. I may be wrong.

txt
    txt
    error.txt
    902B
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

See the attached snapshot for SubD, every level of SubD quadruples the number of faces of the mesh and increases the amount of VRAM used by the geometry (mesh). For G8/G8.1 figures anything above 3 is just wasting VRAM unless one is doing microscopical studies of a figures nosepores and has morphs that utilize the level of detail.
    For scenes with several figures, even SubD 3 is too much in my opinion, DS is not a game and high SubD is not comparable to running a game with "everything and the kitchen sink"

Using products as they were delivered, is no guarantee against wasting VRAM and poor resource management in general, there have been cases where a pair of boots, a necklace or a tiny pet have taken down perfectly adequate computers on their own.

SubD.JPG
    610 x 278 - 40K
  • Thank you for the explanation and pic. I did find what you are talking about, but when I "load" the graphic into the scene, it downgrades it to SubD 1, so I assume, when it is rendering it doing it at 1 and not SubD 5. (I did find it as per your picture, and it was in fact a 1 in the scene.)

I've spent several hours now playing with the model and addons that came with it and it's causing all kinds of issues. 

If I may ask, what are your running? I see people using 2060s and lower, and I assumed my 3060 would be more than enough... especially because I'm not.... well, I was going to say complex scenes, but as you pointed out, just a few items will cause issues and this product is doing just that.

Thanks for your assistance. I've submitted a trouble ticket. Hopefully I'll get some more information on that.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited April 2022

Never Mind

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

IceCrMn said:

This is not correct - each card can fail separately without affecting other card(s)in the system.

Save were you can.

In this case it doesn't appear to be working as intended. A ticket has been filed so it's probably best to await the outcome.