Making a Character: Question on Sub-Divisions and Morphs

Good day everyone! I am going to take the plunge and make my first rigged character (I need a custom character ... and yes I have made many static items or things with just a moving part like a door).

What I want to do is make a low, mid, and high poly version of the same character such as for background or close-up uses. I have not done this before, I am thinking of doing this with subdivisions ... but I want to be able to make detailed morphs for the high poly version. Do I do this the same way I do for other morphs, or are there some tricks involved to have the morphs effect one level of subdivision but not the others?

Any other suggestions for this process are also welcome. 

Thanks, Pi Man

Comments

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Okay ... I did some digging around in some very old forum postings ... I may have found what I needed to know ... but it is a disappointing answer if it is still true.

Basically, the tools to make HD morphs exist, but are not available for the average user ... only the professionsals ( I assume that to mean the PA's).

If anyone has other ideas, or knows if things have changed, please let me know.

Thanks.

• That is correct, the tool for importing HD morphs is available only for PAs, and only for making content for the Daz store.

Richard Haseltine said:

That is correct, the tool for importing HD morphs is available only for PAs, and only for making content for the Daz store.

Okay ... many thanks for the up-to-date clarification.

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

HD morphs are only for PA, but you can:

1. create various versions of the self character (with different LOD)
    2. Use the lowest subdivision character and activate Subdivisions. You can recreate many detaisl by displacemnt map. 

Kainjy said:

HD morphs are only for PA, but you can:

1. create various versions of the self character (with different LOD)
    2. Use the lowest subdivision character and activate Subdivisions. You can recreate many detaisl by displacemnt map. 

Going with various maps may be an option ... I might also make the face higher resolution than the body so it can manage close-ups. My main concern is not having to fully rig multiple versions of the character.