I cannot get my Strand-based hair to render in iRay

Yes, dummy here. I looked up other posts but nothing works.  

SCR hair wont render.png
960 x 540 - 598K
SCR hair wont render 2.png
960 x 540 - 599K

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

The screenshots indicate that you're on the universal tool, which pre-empts one of the most basic troubleshooting steps. What's your line tesselation set to?

• Gordig said:

The screenshots indicate that you're on the universal tool, which pre-empts one of the most basic troubleshooting steps. What's your line tesselation set to?

I am a dummy in this, so I have no idea where to find the tesselation value.  Sorry.

• OK I have found something about Tesselation.  It is in the Parameters tab.  I have used the node-selection pointer.  Upon rendering with iRay, the strand-based hair still does not show up.

SCR hair wont render 3.png
    1173 x 692 - 753K
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,376
    edited April 2022

what does the hair actually look like? (those curves showing in the viewport are just the SBH Editor style curves).

Can you turn on Preview PR Hairs in Parameters, or screenshot what it looks like on the Tweak tab of the SBH Editor.

edit: btw if you turn on Preview PR hairs you can visualise in Iray Preview.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • edited April 2022

well, this is what I have. it is not showing in tweak view.. I have preview on

SCR hair wont render 4.png
    831 x 741 - 387K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Then you dont have any hairs... What does it look like in Paint and Distribute tab? 

• edited April 2022

And here is my Distribute view, which look really weird to my, but what do I know, first time creating this in DS.

SCR hair wont render 6.png
    756 x 664 - 430K
    Post edited by ibr_remote aka infinity10 on
  • ibr_remote aka infinity10 said:

Here is my Paint view

SCR hair wont render 5.png
    771 x 672 - 656K
    edited April 2022

ibr_remote aka infinity10 said:

ibr_remote aka infinity10 said:

Here is my Paint view

Very bizarre.

what's showing in your Paint tab is actually the Style tab?

The paint tab should be a black-and-white surface where you paint the map of where you want the hair to grow (white = spawn hair, black=no hair).  See image below.

Are you using a recent version of Daz? I've been using SBH Editor since it was released. I use it in every render i do and never had the issue you have.

Oh actually, now that i look closer, you just have the style curves checked "show style curves", so thats why i initially thought it was the style tab.  I would untick those so you can see the surface.  From what i can see it is painted white (?), so it should be spawning hairs.

On your distribute tab, you do have hairs spawning, albeit they have very high (too high?) base width for a 'normal' hair, but i think that should still allow them to spawn and be visible in render.  Maybe play with the paint and distribute tabs until you see hairs appearing as you want them to.  I usually use the Tweak tab to visualise the "final look", since it shows the effect of all the previous tabs combined.

PaintTab.JPG
    1590 x 1020 - 267K
    DistributeTab.JPG
    1596 x 1026 - 164K
    StyleTab.JPG
    1587 x 1022 - 182K
    ClumpTab.JPG
    1590 x 1026 - 175K
    TweakTab.JPG
    1588 x 1024 - 181K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • Hi All !!  I fixed my problem ! 

I did not paint on the scalp area of the figure.  I had actually generated a mesh from MakeHuman, extraced the parts of the scalp, fitted and morphed that extracted geometry to my customised Genesis 8 male, and then grew the hairs onthat geometry.  I had made that extrenal scalp invisible in my scene hierarchy, so of course, the strand hairs would not render ! After I made the external scalp visiable again, the hairs rendered fine.  Ah, so sorry for the other. Thank you for your effort to help me troubleshoot this. It was my error to begin with.

It reminds me of the family setting up the new TV set, and I forget to switch on the cable decoder box, so everyone was wondering why we could not get any signals with the new TV.  Oh boy.

FIXED problem solved.png
    417 x 526 - 245K