Upgrade CPU or not? [SOLVED]

mangiomcmangiomc Posts: 15

Hello everybody!

I recently bought a 3080 ti and the renders on daz have become pretty fast.

The only problem I have is in the viewport, I work using texture mode. But it happens a lot of times that it's all a little laggy, it becomes a nightmare trying to move a part of a character's body.

I read that the viewport is affected by the CPU, especially single-core.

I currently have an amd 3600x, would it be worth it in your opinion for example to switch to 5900x?

I can't figure out if I would actually notice a difference or it would just be money down the drain.

Post edited by mangiomc on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Go to prefrences - interface - and then display optimization and set it to best and see if that helps.

• mangiomcmangiomc Posts: 15

Thanks for the reply! I checked now and had that option already selected. The problem therefore remains, I have checked well how all the cores of the cpu are working and when for example I try to move the character's arm or to move the camera around that character (which is lagging) a cpu core reaches 80%.

It is strange because if at this point it was a problem with the cpu it would have to reach 100%.

Could it be a problem with the ram that's not that fast? I have 48Gb of ram at 3200Mhz, but maybe they are not working at the indicated speed.

FSMCDesigns said:

Go to prefrences - interface - and then display optimization and set it to best and see if that helps.

Ok then I think I have narrowed the field a bit.
    Both the camera and the movement especially lagging on a specific character.
    So I think it has something to do with morphs.

(I tried to hide hair and clothes but nothing changed)

The morphs therefore remain. But at this point I ask you, how can I customize a character if I delete the morphs?

And above all, now that the character has been created and used, should I completely redo it from scratch?

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Smoothing modifiers can slow down the viewport display too. Try to disable the Mesh Smoothng for all the items in your scene, and don't forget to re-enable them again before rendering!

• mangiomc said:

FSMCDesigns said:

The morphs therefore remain. But at this point I ask you, how can I customize a character if I delete the morphs?

And above all, now that the character has been created and used, should I completely redo it from scratch?

I recently had probably similar issues with posing a character's arm. The problem went away when I deleted the hair (just hiding it was not enough). I posed the character without the hair and added it later on after posing.

It was Curl Me Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 781
    edited April 2022

mangiomc said:

Hello everybody!

The only problem I have is in the viewport, I work using texture mode. But it happens a lot of times that it's all a little laggy, it becomes a nightmare trying to move a part of a character's body.

I currently have an amd 3600x, would it be worth it in your opinion for example to switch to 5900x?

I can't figure out if I would actually notice a difference or it would just be money down the drain.

The 5900x is a bargian at $385, but consider that you may have to upgrade your Motherboard, Memory, and maybe your Power Supply as well.

Post edited by nakamuram002 on
  • Turn the smoothing modifier off on the clothing and hair. I think this still activates even if the items are hidden. Then see how laggy it is. If still laggy, a more powerful CPU may be in order provided that your RAM is less than 75% full during the scene. If more than 75% RAM, my machine slows down, and I have improved things by going to 24Gb from 16Gb.
    edited April 2022

nakamuram002 said:

mangiomc said:

Hello everybody!

The 5900x is a bargian at $385, but consider that you may have to upgrade your Motherboard, Memory, and maybe your Power Supply as well.

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing. At the moment I have an asus b450 prime plus as a motherboard. It's a budget motherboard I bought years ago.
    Considering that I have a 3080 Ti and a 750w power supply, if I were to get a new cpu I would probably have to change psu as well.

At this point the cost starts to get really high, around 800-900 euros.

Tonight I will try the advice that was given to me and let you know.

Thank you very much

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

markusmatern said:

mangiomc said:

FSMCDesigns said:

I recently had probably similar issues with posing a character's arm. The problem went away when I deleted the hair (just hiding it was not enough). I posed the character without the hair and added it later on after posing.

It was Curl Me Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)

Solved! Actually it was the hair, it was enough for me to remove it to make it all fluid again!

I think my character is going to go for a ride to the hairdresser soon hahaha

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I leave you the link of the hair I used, in case others also have problems: https://www.daz3d.com/davit-hd-and-davit-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-male