"Underclocking" a GPU? Or does something other then CUDA matter?

Hi,

Thanks to a mixture of bad luck (old PC went completely broken), coupled with unreasonableness and defiance, I will soon be able to enjoy a 3090.

Since I am a fan of quiete hardware my idea was to clock the GPU down in order to reduce energy consumption and noise. Does this affect the render times? If yes, how much?

Best wishes

Ryselle

Comments

• You are paying for an expensive GPU, so you should use it to its fullest capacity.  Or you might consider something "less" like an RTX 3080.  Just run your GPU it at rated its speed and turn of the overlocking. I limited the frame rate to 60hz on mine - mainly for gaming, I am not sure how that affects rendering.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited April 2022

Gamers always want to overclock. Always to get a better frame rate. not to limit it to 60hz Here is the reason. Your eyes see more than you think.

Human Eye FPS: How Much Can We See and Process Visually? (healthline.com)

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 781
    edited April 2022

AgitatedRiot said:

Gamers always want to overclock. Always to get a better frame rate. not to limit it to 60hz Here is the reason. Your eyes see more than you think.

Human Eye FPS: How Much Can We See and Process Visually? (healthline.com) 

Good article re: 60fps, AgitatedRiot.  What really our PRACTICAL upper limit?  I am in my late 60s, so mine is probably lower than that of most young gamers like my 16 year old grandson.

I am a gamer and I do not overclock.  I buy the performance level that I need and stay within the factory limits.

I think overclocking computers is like "hot rodding" cars - Yes, you get minor gains, but are they worth the reduction in reliability/durability and power consumption (or fuel economy)?  All for Boast Value!!

Post edited by nakamuram002 on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

I run my games with V-sync on. My refresh rate is 120hz on my monitor. My old eyes are also getting where I can't see as well as I used to.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

I keep my PC quiet by having it in another room! cheeky

Just the monitor, USB and network cables come through a hole in the wall.

Yes, Undervolting/Underclocking the GPU will be detrimental to render times.