New Install Doesn't Recognize Daz Smart Cloud Files

Hello! I just did a fresh install of windows but kept my old Daz library. I put Daz stuff on drive F and the DIM app and Daz Studio seem to be working/connecting. I overwrote the new daz library with my old files and all the ones I imported from Rendo show up in Daz but the ones I downloaded with Daz Studio directly aren't showing up. I even went to preferences and tried changing the Daz Connect folder location to .../data/ then .../data/cloud/ and even the main My Daz Library folder. When I download a file using Daz Studio it goes to the exact folder that is already there but gets a color overlay instead of the grayed out one. I've tried refreshing the metadata. Anyone know how to get Daz Studio to recognize its old cloud data that's in the exact same spot as before???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited April 2022

If you mean content installed through Daz Studio and you don't have a back up of the database (which would haev been on the C: drive by default - %AppData%/daz 3d/cms/ - if you didn't reformat the drive it may still be in the windows.old folder) then you will have to reinstall, though it should recognise the existing files and not need to download them once it has verified that their signatures match those on the server.

If you do mean installed via Install Manager (or Daz Central) then, once you have the content directory settings correct (so that you can see the files in the Content Library under Daz Studio Formats and they load), open the Content Library option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner or right-click the tab)>Content DB Maintenance, check reimport Metadata, check everything in the enxt dialogue (there is a master checkbox), and let it do its work for a while.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I mean I have an external drive where all my Daz library is. I did a clean install of windows and installed Daz again. (It was a disaster using the Daz Central (?) app so deleted all the Daz stuff and not sure if there are lingering registries also causing issues because uninstall couldnt find Daz Studio. Not sure if this info is related or even needed). This install of Daz seems to be working and connected to the Daz Install Manager. I moved all of my original Daz Library files (structures intact) to the new Daz library (overwriting the new files). My Rendorosity files show up in the Smart Library in Daz Studio but none of the files I downloaded via Daz Studio. However when I installed one test file again thru Daz Studio it went to the exact same folder already in my Daz library and now that one file shows up in Daz Studio but none of the others. I tried Content DB Maintenance->reimport Metadata and it seemed to just refresh the content I installed from Rendo. Not sure if there is somewhere else I need to update.

• Right, so that is the first case - Daz Studio knows what it has installed itself through the database, and you don't now have the old database. All you can do is "reinstall" - which as I said, should just verify the files without actually redownloading (but it will still take a while).

Thanks, I did the Content DB--> reimport Metadata and it just pulls up the Rendo stuff. None of my Daz Studio downloaded files are listed.

Even months old scene files pull up referenced assets correctly so not sure why Daz isn't.

• As I said, reimport metadata will not help with content installed through Daz Studio - it would work for content installed through Daz Central or Install Manager.

Perhaps tone isn't getting across, but thank you for taking time to try and help. Most of my files have been downloaded via Daz Studio and I am still looking for a solution so if any lurkers have an idea feel free to share :) If I find a solution I'll post in hopes it helps someone else down the line.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You have tell Studio to download the files again.  It won't actually download the files though since they are still on the computer.  Studio will just a "got that file check" and update the database and continue on till done.  This is most long time users won't use Connect or even let Studio log-in, DIM it the better install method.

edited April 2022

jestmart said:

You have tell Studio to download the files again.  It won't actually download the files though since they are still on the computer.  Studio will just a "got that file check" and update the database and continue on till done.  This is most long time users won't use Connect or even let Studio log-in, DIM it the better install method.

Thanks! I could be wrong but opening up the cloud file folder and then installing it via Daz Studio looks like files are being redownloaded- but maybe it is just a refresh. Not really sure how to check as nothing is getting deleted in the process. I originally used DIM but then in Daz Studio I would get a little weird icon with a circle and triangle for files downloaded with DIM and when I hit 'install' in Daz Studio the item thumnail would flash gray, then download, the item thumbnail gets color, and the icon would disappear. Looking at the file structure now it looks like Daz was creating two different types of download locations with files- the Dim one that would go to the expected file locations (hair files going to different places like /textures, /genesis, etc) and then the data/cloud one with everything together.

I usually try to keep my file structures neat but my Daz paths are a confusing, convulted mess left over from the first couple of times I tried moving it from C to another drive so if I can't find a solution I might just delete everything and try again with a clean install and just use DIM.

*Edit if it helps using 4.2 on Windows 11

Post edited by sunnyjei on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If you don't log-in with Studio you won't get the weird triangle.

jestmart said:

If you don't log-in with Studio you won't get the weird triangle.

I always assumed I needed to but further digging seems like the circle and triangle icon just means downloaded with DIM. I just decided to go ahead and do a complete wipe and reinstall as my paths and library were a mess. Hopefully once everything gets downloaded via DIM (and that might be a week at this rate) I'll avoid downloading anything with Studio going forward and hopefully that will cut down on duplicates and be easier to connect with should I have to move drives again in the future. Thanks for the help!