Fringe Benefits Hair causing full freeze/crash? (Solved-ish)

ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

So, first let me say that I love (LOVE) the Fringe Benefits Hair, and after purchasing it, I did several renders using it and it is great. It moves wonderfully, it simulates beautifully, and it's just honestly my favorite hair asset ever added to my library.

However.

Wednesday of last week, out of nowhere, any render I attempt to run that has the hair in the scene completely locks up my machine. CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing. My log files show that Studio gets to:

"Iray [INFO[ - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : Importing geometry for motion time 0"

And that's it.

That is the final line of the log every time the freeze happens. Before this, it does the usual business of loading images for the figure, the hair, etc. (strangely it also seems to want to load DTHDR-RuinsB-500.hdr on some clean scenes, but I don't know why. It appears unrelated to the crash.)

I've tried this in completely new scenes, with a variety of G8F/G8.1F figures, with and without the hair, and with the hair itself by itself in the scene. I've used several different hairs, done clean test renders with cube primitives and a variety of materials, etc.

Process of elimination indicates that it's the hair. And I can't figure out why. The hair was working normally until Wednesday and suddenly every time I try to render with it, the entire machine locks up.

Process/Task manager shows that my GPU is working about the same as it always has. I do note that I'm seeing a new behavior on my HDD when rendering with this hair, which is a 100% I/O state on the drive. This is not my system drive, mind you (that's a separate SSD), so I can't imagine that this would cause the problem.

I'm honestly at a loss for what's going on here. I don't have any additional texture sets for the hair. I'm not doing anything crazy with it. Simulated or Unsimulated, the same results happen, so I know it's not a matter of dForce taking up additional memory.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Strange rituals man was not meant to know?

I'll take what you've got.

Post edited by Chronopunk on

Comments

• If it's only recently started, and is now being conistent, haev you had a system change - e.g. a driver update?

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

Not since last Wednesday, no.

I did update my drivers to the latest NVidia studio drivers about a week beforehand, but I've never had an issue where drivers just suddenly start misbehaving after a week's worth of working normally, and then only with one specific asset. Usually driver issues (in my experience) affect all or nothing for this sort of crash.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Is the problem with that specific scene, i.e. ifyou make a new scene and load a character and the hair, does it then also crash?

felis said:

Is the problem with that specific scene, i.e. ifyou make a new scene and load a character and the hair, does it then also crash?

It doesn't matter what the scene is, as I mentioned in my original post:

"I've tried this in completely new scenes, with a variety of G8F/G8.1F figures, with and without the hair, and with the hair itself by itself in the scene. I've used several different hairs, done clean test renders with cube primitives and a variety of materials, etc."

So I'm marking this "Solved-ish" at this time.

None of my attempts to get the Fringe Benefits hair to work properly were successful. Same results every time I tried - Disk I/O jumped to 100%, CPU/GPU/RAM all peg at 100%, then everything locks and I have to reset my machine. I was able to run renders without issue in scenes without the hair.

Again, Everything was working fine until the 13th, and I had made no changes to my system for ~2 weeks before that.

I decided to pick up the "Full Fringe" hair (https://www.daz3d.com/full-fringe-dforce-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-female) which is close, but not the same. It'll work for what I need, though.

With Full Fringe, I see none of the problems I had with Fringe Benefits and my renders run much faster (about 1/3 the time as I ws getting on Fringe Benefits).

It's not a perfect solution, but it's Solved-ish.

• LemyLemy Posts: 10

Hello,

I have the same problems with the Fringe Benefits Hair. Strange enough, when I reduce the tessalation to 2, (it comes in with a tessalation of 3) then it renders normal. Strange is, that before it rendered normal with a tessalation of 3. For me. it looks like, the iray renderer is causing this error, because it started after an update of DAZ Studio with a new version of Iray.

I am using an RTX 3060 (12Gb) and an RX2070 (8Gb) for rendering, so I think, this is enought ram.

I would like to hear, if someone has the same proplems.

Thank you

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

VRAM does not add together, atleast ways not without VLink which only some cards support.