How can I delete Verticies and Edges from a mesh in DS?

So far, I've seen one tutorial on how to delete polygons from a mesh.

The procedure does not work on just verticies or edges that do not have a surface bridging between them, which is my situation.

I can select the verticies in the geometry editor. But after that, I see no menu options for deleting them.

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

Select your object in the Scene Tab. Change the DrawStyle Option of the viewport from Texture Shaded, to Wire texture shaded. This will help you to get a better representation of the polygons you want to delete.

Activate the Geometry Editor Tool (Alt+Shift+G) and select (Left Click) or deselect (Alt+Left Click) portions of the mesh.

Right Click in the viewport gives you access to some of the Geometry Editor tool options, such as selection by polygon, lasso, area, surface, etc.

Viewport Right Click > Geometry Editing > Delete Selected Polygon(s) will do what you need.

N.B : keep in mind that deleting faces is a destructive workflow. There's no going back once it's done (except by loading the asset again from your content library).

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You don't, use an actual modeling program.

• There is right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete Unused Vertices in polygon selection mode, if that is what you mean by "not hav[ing] a surface bridging between them"

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792
    edited May 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

There is right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete Unused Vertices in polygon selection mode, if that is what you mean by "not hav[ing] a surface bridging between them"

Thanks, Richard. That option looks promising. If I ever encounter the problem again, I'll give it a shot.

Post edited by lukon100 on
  • SquishySquishy Posts: 460

Yeah you can do this inside of DS, you can select polys in the Geometry Editor and "Delete Selected Polygons", but you must re-save the asset to the library if you ever plan on re-using it or loading it in a saved scene file in the future. It surprised me when that worked without any problem at all, "it just works".

Squishy said:

Yeah you can do this inside of DS, you can select polys in the Geometry Editor and "Delete Selected Polygons", but you must re-save the asset to the library if you ever plan on re-using it or loading it in a saved scene file in the future. It surprised me when that worked without any problem at all, "it just works".

No no. Different problem. I had no need to delete any polygons. I instead needed to delete only a few disconnected verticies.

that was more directed at the person telling you D|S couldn't do this

Squishy said:

that was more directed at the person telling you D|S couldn't do this

No. It was directed at you, Squishy.

You are telling me there is a way to delete polygons in Daz Studio. But I was never interested in deleting polygons in Daz Studio. I wanted to delete veticies that are not part of any polygons. Richard's procedure seems like it is what I really want: to delete unused verticies.

ok!