bryce memory error

DeamonoxDeamonox Posts: 83
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello one and all

Now I seem to be having a slight issue when it comes to importing a the daz horse 2 model into bryce, it works when I send it without any animation or movement data but when I try to send it with stuf I get an error message saying that I'm out of memory
does anyone know how to solve this

also I keep trying to send terrain bits to daz but after the first piece it keeps changing all the textures to match each others am I doing something wrong or should I try to send everything at the same time

thank you in advance for any help you can give me

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,304
    edited December 1969

@leonardtnkrd - Bryce is a 32 bit application and can only handle up to 2 GB. If you have a 64 bit machine with 6 GB or more of memory, you can make Bryce large address aware (it's free). Here's a video Bryce Memory Shortage and what you can do about it.

As for terrains into Studio: Bryce can export a mesh, but it is usually crude. Bryce works with height maps (16 bit greyscale images). The materials are transformed to UV maps and those are not really good (that's a friendly way of saying it). You're usually better off to get the stuff from Studio to Bryce.

• DeamonoxDeamonox Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

thanks for the info, still getting the problem and I have 16gb of memmory for it to use, I didn't think a 1min animation would take some much memory up

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As Horo says a 32bit program can only use 2gb of memory, or more if you make Bryce LAA, but even then it is under 4GB it can use.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks for the info, still getting the problem and I have 16gb of memmory for it to use, I didn't think a 1min animation would take some much memory up

you can't do DS animation in Bryce 7 .

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

I was trying to figure out how to animate a figure from DAZ Studio in Bryce. I was going to use Emotiguy for a test. I figured I could do it "old school" ... like "claymation" animation ... setting the initial pose, exporting the .obj, moving the character slightly, and exporting the .obj, etc., etc.. Then I realized that all of these .obj figures would have to exist in Bryce in each frame, with only the one for the current frame "visible", and the rest "hidden". Then I realized that would take a lot of memory. Then I remembered I had cake in the kitchen, and the rest became just a memory.

edited December 1969

Did someone say cake ? :coolsmile: Is it a chocolate cake? Fancy sharing? :coolsmirk:

• DeamonoxDeamonox Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

hmm if I export the horse and them import it would that work or would it be a waste of time *mussing while muching on a cake *

edited December 1969

@leonardtnkrd - Well, yes ... if you do that for each frame, but, no ... if you don't have enough memory for ALL of the individual poses involved in the animation.

What I was describing about the "claymation" style of animation is; you create your horse in its initial, starting pose in DAZ Studio, export that pose as an OBJ, import that OBJ into Bryce, then go back to DAZ Studio and do the same for the pose in the next frame of the animation. Then keep doing that for each and every frame of the animation. These individual OBJs have to exist in every frame of Bryce. Bryce does not have the ability to create nor delete an object during the animation. So, for example, if your animation is to last 1 second at 15 FPS, (which is about the minimum FPS for smooth animation), you will have fifteen different poses of your horse in each and every frame all occupying the same basic physical space. For a four second animation you will have 60 horses. For every frame you will need to make the horses that are not supposed to be visible in that frame "hidden" objects, so only one horse at a time is not "hidden" in any given frame. Fact is, if you do not have the memory for all the data for the number of objects you will need, you will not be able to do this.

By the way, I have never even tried what I describe above, so call it a theory.

Bryce is good at animating simple objects or meshes, such as moving something from place to place in the work area, or rotating something, or moving something that's rotating, etc., etc., but something as complex as the movement of an animal would be difficult to get right without some sort of "claymation" method as described above. Bryce is also good at animating materials on an object, so clouds and running water can be done well. I've even seen some artists have good success with realistic looking flames.

One thing that might help if you have memory issues doing the "claymation" method, (once again, this is only theory), you might be able to use just one horse body, and animate and export the limbs and such for each frame. Could be that will just make it worse, as we are now taking about a whole lot of objects for just one horse of the (X number) of horse poses you need to complete the animation.

I wasted a bunch of time creating a simple 4 second "animal" animation of just moving the legs. It's done using the basic Bryce primitives just to demonstrate how Bryce wants to animate. It takes less than 2 minutes to render the entire animation. It doesn't really apply to your problem, so you might want to ignore the links below:

The completed 4 second animation in AVI format - 60.32MB
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ly6vg0s95gheeq/AnimalSimpleAnimationTest.avi?dl=0

The Bryce source in version 5.5, (for those that don't have version 7 ... works in either versions of Bryce) - 262KB
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k5ubnugqnxp7a9/AnimalSimpleAnimationTest.br5?dl=0

The BMP associated with the BR5, (not really needed at all) - 1MB
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/docr1mh44ix2v18/AnimalSimpleAnimationTest.bmp?dl=0

However, a couple of the regular users here are pretty good at animation. You might want to search this forum for posts by Oroboros, and TheSavage64. For example:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45629/

or

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47774/

@chohole - It WAS chocolate, and it was gone before you asked. Sorry.

HAVE FUN!

edited December 1969

Oops! Um, I guess you can forget about the "claymation" method in the above post. I could have sworn I hid and unhid objects during an animation before in the past, but I just tried a test, (um, using Emotiguy), and it seems they are either hidden or not hidden throughout the rendered animation. The hidden attribute seems to be a one-time thing. It doesn't change in the when you set a key frame. Sorry.
    (Darn! It was such a good theory.)

edited May 2015

bigh said:

you can't do DS animation in Bryce 7 .

I think if you have get Bryce 5 or Bryce 5.5 and DS 2 - you can do your animation .
    You could do animation back then .

edit to add -
    They had where you could do animation from DS in Bryce 7
    but they took it out .

Post edited by bigh on
    edited December 1969

Are you 100% certain of your facts there?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Are you 100% certain of your facts there?

which part ?

edited December 1969

one I did from 2010 - DS to Bryce 7

https://youtu.be/HHW9wv5AD7k

found this one today - not mine

https://youtu.be/JCN6W3i8DwE

edited May 2015

bigh said:

I think if you have get Bryce 5 or Bryce 5.5 and DS 2 - you can do your animation .
    You could do animation back then .

edit to add -
    They had where you could do animation from DS in Bryce 7
    but they took it out .

@bigh - Really I am probably the last person who should be giving advice on animation from DAZ Studio to Bryce. That is because the only version of DAZ Studio I have installed anyplace is version 2.3.3.89. (No good reason ... I could have updated ... I think.) That version does not have any animation features that I can find. It could be I'm just WAY not familiar with how to use it, because I rarely use DAZ Studio. I only use it to create a static object to export for use in Bryce. On the computer I have DAZ Studio 2.3.3.89 I only have Bryce version 5.5, (because that machine never got updated to XP SP3 ... it's still, and always will be SP2). On the computer I have Bryce 7.1 Pro on, (my Dad's computer), I do not have any versions of DAZ Studio.

@leonardtnkrd - Okay, after my miserable failure at trying to animate the "hidden" attribute, I dug up the file I thought I had used that on before. Well, contrary to the old adage, "You never learn anything the second time you get kicked by a mule.", this time I learned. What I did before, after failing to get the "hidden" attribute to animate, was to simply move the objects I wanted hidden out of camera, (far enough that even shadows and reflections in other objects were not seen), then moved them back into view on the exact frame I wanted them to appear. SO, the "claymation" method I described in that previous post should work for what you're trying to do ... once again, assuming you have enough memory for all of the objects. When you do this, be sure to make key frames for the hidden objects both when you hide them, and the frame before they are to appear, (so they don't slowly float into the scene). Same for when you hide them again. I guess, for you, I'm going to TRY TO pursue a simple 15 frame, one second test to demonstrate. I already did a 4 frame test, and it worked fine, but is not worthy of sharing.

@chohole - This time I'm 100% sure of my facts. HOWEVER, for the 15 frame demo I described above, is there a copyright violation if I make the BR5 file containing 15 static poses of Emotiguy available online for download?

@Horo - I just love your web site. Every time I go there I get side tracked by something cool. By the way, I don't know if you intended it or not, but I noticed that one of your photographs of what I assume is a mountainous area near you, looks a lot like a couple of the Bryce landscapes you've built. If you were trying to duplicate that photograph, you came pretty darn close. Nice job, either way.

Post edited by CTippetts on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,304
    edited December 1969

@CTippetts - thank you, sir. I once painstakingly drew the 20 m isohypses from a 25'000 LT map (LT equivalent is OS in Britain or USGS in the US) of the region I live and created a hight map from it. Drawing the isohypses (the lines of equal altitude) took me about a week. I wrote a program at the time (Iso2Grey) to smooth the steps - though the program only accepts 256 square 8 bit (and 257 square for Terragen).

edited May 2015

CTippetts said:

@chohole - This time I'm 100% sure of my facts. HOWEVER, for the 15 frame demo I described above, is there a copyright violation if I make the BR5 file containing 15 static poses of Emotiguy available online for download?

I would imagine so, because a Bryce scene file does contain the geometry, ie Mesh, of the original object, in this case Emotiguy.

You can only share Bryce scene files when they contain only your own work. ie a model you have built yourself.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

BTW my query was because bigh said that you could do it in Bryce 7, but now no longer could. AFAIK they didn't remove anything from Bryce 7 when they released the last version.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    BTW my query was because bigh said that you could do it in Bryce 7, but now no longer could. AFAIK they didn't remove anything from Bryce 7 when they released the last version.

lets say you are right and so am I .
    you can do DS animation in Bryce 7 - but not in the file format we used to use .

edited December 1969

Hello one and all

Now I seem to be having a slight issue when it comes to importing a the daz horse 2 model into bryce, it works when I send it without any animation or movement data but when I try to send it with stuf I get an error message saying that I'm out of memory
    does anyone know how to solve this

also I keep trying to send terrain bits to daz but after the first piece it keeps changing all the textures to match each others am I doing something wrong or should I try to send everything at the same time

thank you in advance for any help you can give me

ok - did a test using Daz horse - best I can get to come over
    is 30 frames - after that get the out of memory .

edited May 2015

chohole said:
    CTippetts said:

I would imagine so, because a Bryce scene file does contain the geometry, ie Mesh, of the original object, in this case Emotiguy.

You can only share Bryce scene files when they contain only your own work. ie a model you have built yourself.

{Insert the sound of brakes screeching to a halt here.} I was hoping, since you can't modify the mesh like you can the original object, it would be okay. I'll go find something else to do ... probably in another room.

@leonardtnkrd - Sorry.

Post edited by CTippetts on