BRYCE , World War 3 and your Genetic Mutations

Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
edited May 2015 in Bryce Discussion

Has anyone tried making atom bomb or hydrogen bomb models, or scenes, using Bryce materials, skies, terrains, lights, etc.?
Time to add mutants to the post.

I changed the name of this post, so that you can add your Bryce mutations to the radioactive stew.

Post edited by Retro Lad on

Comments

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Has anyone tried making atom bomb or hydrogen bomb models, or scenes, using Bryce materials, skies, terrains, lights, etc.?

Yes a few years back. It was constructed from volumetrics and radial lights. It looked pretty good but the rest of the scene sucked so I scrapped it. I'll give it a shot later to see if I can try and replicate it.
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Orbital,

Some of the old 1950s American and Japanese science fiction films have scenes of atomic blasts that are good for reference.
    The American altered version of the Japanese film, "Rodan" has an intro using color scenes of atomic blasts in the Pacific Ocean.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

You might try the "Bryce Pro Volumetric Fireballs" package that David Brinnen put together. For a fireball as huge as a nuke, they might not work "as is", but I'll bet they can be tweaked into shape. Or, they just might work "as is". They're pretty impressive.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Ok finally got a spare half hour and knocked this up. The mushroom consists of a boolean sphere, a boolean cone for the updraft and spheres for the ground cloud. Two radial lights sit inside the mushroom to light it up. I'm not happy with the way the updraft looks at the moment so I'll work on that to make it look better. I'll also post settings when I'm happy with the results.

bomb_copy.jpg
    1200 x 580 - 365K
    edited December 1969

Orbital.

Not bad for a half hours work.
    I'm spending the next few hours on my last attempt to get a reasonably decent looking tumbleweed out of the Bryce Plant Lab. If I can't succeed tonight then "to hell with it" and it's on to the nuke render tests.

edited December 1969

@Orbital - Really, really good for just 1/2 hour. While you're adding flying debris and such, you might consider that the buildings inside the compression rings might not be standing so pristine.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

The People's Republic of Poser condemns this violation by Bryce-land of the long standing test ban treaty. We are well armed and ready for any threat.

Poser_A_Bomb.png
    695 x 852 - 233K
    edited May 2015

Here are some video snaps from the Japanese film, "Rodan" of an atomic bomb explosion in the Pacific Ocean. I've posted these as reference sources. Maybe this is redundant and better photos can be found in a Google search.

VLCsnap-00205.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 104K
    VLCsnap-00204.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 109K
    VLCsnap-00203.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 153K
    VLCsnap-00202.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 140K
    edited December 1969

Here are the last few video snaps from the film, "Rodan" of an atomic explosion plus one snap of a hydrogen bomb explosion.

VLCsnap-00199.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 103K
    VLCsnap-00212.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 100K
    VLCsnap-00211.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 116K
    VLCsnap-00210.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 102K
    edited December 1969

@FlashGarcia - Most of the still you presented are from a water based blast. Most of the volume seen is the body of water being evaporated into a sudden, dense cloud. A land based blast is more like the render presented by Orbital. The red image you presented is literally an infra-red view of an atomic blast ... not what the naked eye would see. Check out these videos I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNYe_UaWZ3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_o65B1JTiw

I think both of those contain the footage your stills are from, plus land based blasts. In reality, as you will see, even the Orbital render is not what the naked eye would see, as the flash would be so blinding, it would be like the first image below, followed by the second image below.

AllBlack.jpg
    720 x 480 - 6K
    AllWhite.jpg
    720 x 480 - 6K
    edited May 2015

In the video snaps I posted you can zoom in and see the aircraft carrier vessels and maybe battleships too that were arranged in circle formation for the blast.
    Of course there were no humans aboard the vessels.
    I am not sure, but some of the aircraft carriers may have had animals on board. Not a pleasant thought.

A good set of specially tinted goggles should make the fireball observable.

I will post another few movie video snaps of nuclear explosions, land based, later.

I changed the name of this post, so that you can add your Bryce mutations to the radioactive stew.

Also of special interest
    http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

edited May 2015

For reference use.

Here are some video snaps of an atomic bomb mushroom cloud from the 1950s, "War of the Worlds", film.
    Also, one video snap scene of the martians approaching LA to stamp it flat.
    And finally, one video snap of some goggle wearers for a previous poster.

VLCsnap-00222.jpg
    720 x 540 - 104K
    larger_VLCsnap-00221.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 184K
    larger_VLCsnap-00227.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 134K
    larger_VLCsnap-00225.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 132K
    larger_VLCsnap-00223.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 150K