Exporting From Poser... Into Genesis

zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 676
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I realize that the latest Poser generation characters are 100% not compatible with DAZ Studio.

But is it possible to create/pose/attire such a character in Poser, then export it as, say, an .OBJ file, then import that file into DAZ studio as a prop/scene preset (as you would any other rigid prop, like a chair or lamp?)

Speaking of rigid props, I'd also like to know if Poser's P.I.C.K. room creator can export .OBJ files for use as scene presets in DAZ Studio.

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Exporting the figure as an OBJ and importing should work, as it would lose all it's weights and everything upon export anyways.

The PICK props work just fine as-is in DS. Just map your Poser content library under Poser Formats in Daz Studio's library manager. Obviously you'll want to redo them with DS shaders anyways, but all the dials and material zones are there.

The only things that don't work in DS are PMD injections (newer versions- workarounds exist for older DS versions) and Poser weight mapped figures (that I can think of off the top of my head).

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 676
    edited December 1969

What about the reverse? Can G1 and G2 figures be exported from DAZ studio as .obj files and imported into Poser as props?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2015

What about the reverse? Can G1 and G2 figures be exported from DAZ studio as .obj files and imported into Poser as props?

Yes, Genesis figures can be exported as .obj. In fact, one can export them (and their conforming clothing separately) as rigged cr2s and use them as native Poser figures in Poser 9 and higher. However, the conformers only contain the morphs that were dialled into the parent figure when they were exported, and one cannot add morphs nor change UV sets of the exported base figures.

In Studio, File>Export, and select "Poser CR2" file as the file type. You will then get a dialogue as to where to save it...

EDIT; I fired it up and looked at the options; there is an option to save as a base figure or a conformer. There is also an option to use .pmd or EXP morphs (PMDs are what you want to use), and there is an option to save to to a zip file...

Post edited by WandW on
  • QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

WandW said:

Yes, Genesis figures can be exported as .obj. In fact, one can export them (and their conforming clothing separately) as rigged cr2s and use them as native Poser figures in Poser 9 and higher. However, the conformers only contain the morphs that were dialled into the parent figure when they were exported, and one cannot add morphs nor change UV sets of the exported base figures.

In Studio, File>Export, and select "Poser CR2" file as the file type. You will then get a dialogue as to where to save it...

EDIT; I fired it up and looked at the options; there is an option to save as a base figure or a conformer. There is also an option to use .pmd or EXP morphs (PMDs are what you want to use), and there is an option to save to to a zip file...

I'm hoping that EXP stands for expressions. In Poser Companion Files Poses are right there. But what about expressions. I have Dolly but how do I get expressions into Poser. Right now nothing is listed under head. A lot of pluses that end up minus's when I expand them. Dolly wants to smile and get angry in Poser. How?

How can I export Gen 2 expressions into Poser?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2015

quietrob said:
    WandW said:

I'm hoping that EXP stands for expressions. In Poser Companion Files Poses are right there. But what about expressions. I have Dolly but how do I get expressions into Poser. Right now nothing is listed under head. A lot of pluses that end up minus's when I expand them. Dolly wants to smile and get angry in Poser. How?

How can I export Gen 2 expressions into Poser?

EXP morphs are how morphs are loaded n the DAZ Generation 4 figures. Theoretically one could then add more morphs to the exported figure, but then one would need to initialize it like one initializes V4, but I'm nor sure how that would be done.

As far as expressions go, the base expressions are in the Body Actor, IIRC (I'm not at my Poser Machine) under Pose Controls>Head. However, I did have the Sans>Pokerface Expressions for Josie end in the Head Actor, so apparently some Artists aren't consistent...

Post edited by WandW on
  • zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 676
    edited December 1969

BTW, while re-reading this thread I realized I screwed up the title.

Obviously I meant Exporting From Poser Into DAZ Studio, not into Genesis, which doesn't even make sense.

Thank you for not scolding me.

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

BTW, while re-reading this thread I realized I screwed up the title.

Obviously I meant Exporting From Poser Into DAZ Studio, not into Genesis, which doesn't even make sense.

Thank you for not scolding me.

Scold you? I wanna thank you. I just used exporting Poser Genesis in the search window and it came up with this thread. I learned what EXP meant and found an answer to my own problem. I went to Rendo, paid five bucks for expressions and suddenly my parameter dials are useful. I can use the artists expressions or make my own now.