Hiding vs Deleting

There are certain thing I load that basically kill a scene (moving, posing, etc.).  If I remove the item the scene seems to work fine.  I'm wondering if hiding the same item works.

I've tried hiding it but I don't see much of a difference.  Is it my imagination?

Thanks for everyones insight during my learning process.

Comments

• KainjyKainjy Posts: 812

If you hide a shirt and change the pose, your CPU will have to work to adapt shirt to the body but you won't see the result.

If you delete the shirt, your CPU won't process it anymore.

Hiding is usefull during rendering: if a object is hidden, Iray won't calculate it (like if erased). 

• Awesome!!!!  Thanks for you help.  I thought that was the case.  Really appreciate it.

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 175

I delete certain things and only load them in last as a wearable preset/scene subset  just before starting a render.  Usually some hair items if they balloon the save file size. 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

Hiding assets doesn't make any difference. In DAZ, sadly their deformation to the Genesis' bones is computed even when they're not visible.

Two ways to speed up a lot the posing process :

1/ What makes a huge difference and slows down the posing workflow is the Smoothing Modifier (Edit > Object > Geometry > Add Smoothing Modifier) applied to most clothes and hairs. This modifier tries to prevent collision issues by deforming / conforming objects to the body. 

To speed up the posing process without having to delete your clothes, select them and deactivate the smoothing :

Parameters Tab > Your Object > General > Mesh Smoothing > Collision Item

This Collision Item, if it's a cloth or an asset, will probably be set to the Genesis wearing it. Click on the Collision Item drop down menu and set it instead to : None. This will prevent DAZ from computing cloth deformation every time you move/rotate a bone. 

When your posing is done, simply reactivate the Smoothing Modifier by choosing, in the Collition Item drop down menu, the name of the collision object (Your Genesis character usually).

2/ Subdivision. Be sure to set for your Genesis and its props/assets' subdivision to base (no SubD) :

Parameters Tab > Your Object > General > Mesh Resolution

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

Hiding assets doesn't make any difference. In DAZ, sadly their deformation to the Genesis' bones is computed even when they're not visible.

Two ways to speed up a lot the posing process :

1/ What makes a huge difference and slows down the posing workflow is the Smoothing Modifier (Edit > Object > Geometry > Add Smoothing Modifier) applied to most clothes and hairs. This modifier tries to prevent collision issues by deforming / conforming objects to the body. 

To speed up the posing process without having to delete your clothes, select them and deactivate the smoothing :

Parameters Tab > Your Object > General > Mesh Smoothing > Collision Item

This Collision Item, if it's a cloth or an asset, will probably be set to the Genesis wearing it. Click on the Collision Item drop down menu and set it instead to : None. This will prevent DAZ from computing cloth deformation every time you move/rotate a bone. 

When your posing is done, simply reactivate the Smoothing Modifier by choosing, in the Collition Item drop down menu, the name of the collision object (Your Genesis character usually).

2/ Subdivision. Be sure to set for your Genesis and its props/assets' subdivision to base (no SubD) :

Parameters Tab > Your Object > General > Mesh Resolution

WOW!  So many alternatives.  Really appreciate it!