Making wrinkle

Hello, I want to make wrinkles like this. Do you know how it's done?

https://pixabay.com/photos/feet-soles-wrinkled-soles-foot-5115467/

Post edited by mmetehanbaydar_77b0078348 on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Probably create/use a displacement map or normal map for the effect.

There is a product that does this at a store I will not mention or link to due to their laxed copyright enforcement ansd questionable pratices. Just google Wrinkled Soles For Genesis 3 and 8

• edited April 2022

FSMCDesigns said:

Probably create/use a displacement map or normal map for the effect.

There is a product that does this at a store I will not mention or link to due to their laxed copyright enforcement ansd questionable pratices. Just google Wrinkled Soles For Genesis 3 and 8

Yes, but how can I do this in Zbrush or Blender? As a polygon.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,195

You can only make morphs based on base resolution.

You could make a morph on the base mesh (if needed), and then increase resolution, sculpt the wrinkles and bake the wrinkles to a normal map

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited April 2022

DAZ :

- Send your Genesis 8 mesh to ZBrush using the Goz Bridge. In default pose, base resolution.

- Subdivide Genesis 8 and send it also to ZBrush. 

ZBRUSH :

Sculpt whatever details you want, wrinkles, muscles, scars, anything really. onto the subdivided Genesis 8.

Export the high poly sculpted from ZBrush as obj (not mandatory in this case but always good to get used to that : name low and high poly respecting the now common to many apps naming convention : my3dobject_low   ;   my3dobject_high)

Start Substance Painter (or whatever app you use to bake : Marmoset, Blender, etc.). Load the Genesis 8 base object (my3dobject_low). And bake details from the high poly sculpted version (my3dobject_high). I prefer to bake using Substance Painter as it's ultra fast and gives perfect results. Especially since Adobe added UDIM UV tiles compatibility, something that's heavily used for Genesis (multiple textures using multiple UV spaces, for face, legs, arms, torso, etc.)

Now you can export textures from Substance Painter (Ctrl+Shit+E). The only Texture Set you'll need are the legs : 

1- Normal Map. This texture will beautifully fake details but, visible with a proper lighting. Normal maps were and still are a true revolution in 3D, but they are mostly just an illusion : they do not modify the geometry.

2- Displacement Map. This texture will truly deform the Genesis 8 subdivided wireframe in DAZ Studio, making wrinkles more believable. Load that displacement map on the Legs Surface raising up a bit the displacement subdivision or the Genesis Subdivision Level, and you'll see your wrinkles appear.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
    edited April 2022

There are plenty of workflows depending on the softwares used. But basically that's the idea. Sculpt the subdivided Genesis. And bake that sculpt onto the lowpoly in order to get normal map + displacement. 

A simple example of a displacement map. Done in Photoshop (best solution by very far is Substance Painter of course) :

1/ Load a DAZ texture from your Genesis in Photoshop. Here I opened the legs.

2/ Draw things in black/white and gradients of grey.

- anything above 50% grey (R/G/B 128/128/128) while pull the wireframe (up, in the polygon's normal direction). Pure white (R/G/B 255/255/255) pulls the wireframe at the maximum.

- anything below 50% grey (R/G/B 128/128/128) while push the wireframe ("down", at the oppositte of the normal's direction). Pure black (R/G/B 0/0/0) pushes the wireframe at the maximum.

- pure 50% gray (R/G/B 128/128/128) will not have displacing influence on the wireframe.

3/ Put a 50% gray layer under your drawings. Save that image.

4/ In DAZ Studio, load your displacement map in "Displacement Strength". Define a strength value.

Then Set Mimimum and Maximum Displacement to the exact same value, but negative for Min and positive for Max. For example Minimum Displacment -1, Maximum Displacement 1.

And you'll end up with a displaced wireframe. The more subdivide Genesis is, the better the result. Instead of subdividing the whole Genesis, you can subdivide only the displaced area using Surfaces > SubD Displacement Level (in this example I set it to 3).

If sculpting and baking sounds a bit too complex. One can also paint wrinkles or any other "HD" detail using photoshop.

But the sculpting/baking UDIM UVs workflow offers a lot of advantages. The main one being the ability to create HD details that run seamlessly anywhere on the body from the torso to the arm, from the face to the neck, etc. Something that is extremely hard, not say impossible, to do using only 2D solutions such as Photoshop. Using the 3D workflow, you can also, once details baked in Substance Painter, paint metallness, roughness, etc. For example I did very good looking braces, Kawaii style, this way. With metal parts, and plastic parts of different colors. Possibilities are limitless.

Good luck with your wrinkles ;)

• You can bake the detail to maps in ZBrush, by setting the divisions back to 0, but it is a bit of a fiddle with UDIM-using figures (unless it's changed recently)

edited April 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

You can bake the detail to maps in ZBrush, by setting the divisions back to 0, but it is a bit of a fiddle with UDIM-using figures (unless it's changed recently)

ZBrush ain't really made at all for single meshes with multiples textures. When importing Genesis you end up with the whole mesh on 1 layer and all its UV islands on 1 UDIM stacked on one another. If one were to bake that kind of mesh with ZBrush he'd end up with a texture that has the whole Genesis UDIMs mixed together. With a mess of pixels as a final result. ZBrush just ain't the app for that.

UDIM workflow in ZBrush kind of exist although I never used it nor I know someone who does. Not really the app for that.

For the baking process, UDIM UVs friendly are preferable. Substance Painter is by far the easiest, fastest and more efficient I know of. Marmoset does a pretty good job too but setting up the scene takes way too long even today. Blender can also do it but baking, even with add-ons, is such a sloooooow process.

Substance Painter remains the reference. Sure it's not cheap :/ But when one's used to it, baking details, custom make-ups, etc. for a DAZ workflow is really a matter of minutes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited April 2022

UDIM squares are irrelevant for the maps, they don't contain any UV data at all. The UVs just tell the application how to map the image to the mesh, and each UDIM just applies the maps to itself ignoring the integer part. There is no reason not to haev a grouped version of the mesh for texturing/baking, and indeed even if you do it is eprfectly possible to export both morphs (for the base cage) and baked maps from the high-division detail from a single model:polygon groups come after the vertex data. Howecver, goZ is not the ideal way to do this since it does not preserve any grouping at all - better to handle it via an exported/imported model.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on