April 2022 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• Gorgeous spring palette there @SapphireBlue and @Daedalus-7 laugh

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited April 2022

@Alias52 @aprilshowers2065 Thanks :)

Strangely me and @SapphireBlue had a similar idea at the same time. :)

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

Version 3 of my image. I have lowered the woman in purple  so her hands touch the ground

• II recreate Kendall Jenner Photoshoot, I'm entering the Beginner challenge with Composition/ Lighting and Posing
    Any feedback and comments will be so much appreciated

Kendall portrait pose2.png
    2160 x 3840 - 6M
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 415

Richard Haseltine said:

katywhite said:

Richard Haseltine said:

katywhite said:

Title: Meeting the Residents

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Made use of instances for the figures in the background, and tried out some volumetrics. Feedback appreciated!

Don't delete the attachment, the inline image is pointing to it.

I didn't delete the attachment, not sure why it deleted itself. :/ I added it back in. Thanks for the heads about it

It may have been doing two posts in succession - the attachment stays attached to the message box until you close or refresh the page, so the image for the second post might well have removed it.

Ooooooh. Oh yeah that would have been it. Good to know! laugh

• Daedalus-7 Nice posing and soft background is very pleasing!

Alias52 Nice work on Mercy on the roof! And thanks!

aprilshowers2065 Thank you!

• DarkSoulDarkSoul Posts: 21
    edited April 2022

Update of my entry.- Dungeons & Dragons Fallen Aasimar Warlock Necromancer

Update of my first post.

Title: Raising the Dead

Challenge: Intermediate
    For now just posing

Updated pose, clothing and materials
    Now to figure out the lighting and environmemnt - suggestions are welcome

For suggestions: Please be advised that she's a:
    - Dungeons & Dragons character.
    - Fallen Aasimar
    - Fiend Patron, Pact of the Tome Warlock
    - Necromancer (can raise zombies and Skeletons)

test-new.jpg
    1684 x 2304 - 495K
    Post edited by DarkSoul on
  • Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited April 2022

@frodopoes I like your character overall, but, personally, I would add some light on the leg on the left (on the boot). Overall, though, I preferred you previous iteration of the image, which you have now removed. 

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • DarkSoulDarkSoul Posts: 21

Daedalus-7 said:

@frodopoes I like your character overall, but, personally, I would add some light on the leg on the left (on the boot). Overall, though, I preferred you previous iteration of the image, which you have now removed. 

Strange that's it's removed. I have not removed it.
    As you can read, this is not the final image yet. It's a pose study. I still have a few corrections to make (like the hand on hip) and add the final lighting and environment 

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,059

Beginner Challenge - Heart of Corruption - Daz Studio 4.20

Hello,
    This is my first entry, and it's also my first post on the forums.
    I'm new to Daz (it's been just a month since I installed it), so this open challenge fits perfectly as I was learning a little bit of everything: the basics of using Daz, posing, lights, cameras and their settings, morphing the figures (that dragon's neck was way too long), reading up on HDRIs, and plenty of other things.
    It took me about 30 renders, from simple poses to the full scenes, to get to that point, and I still can't get the fog in the background to be more a little bit more foggy. Oh well, more learning coming, right?

As a total beginner, I don't have any meaningful advice for anyone, but I want to say that I loved images by @Daedalus-7, @perlk, @SapphireBlue, @PedroFurtadoArts, and @Alias52 - wonderful work, all of you!

fognewtest10-3kpx.jpg
    3000 x 1636 - 5M

joanna said:

Hello,
    I'm new to Daz (it's been just a month since I installed it), so this open challenge fits perfectly as I was learning a little bit of everything: the basics of using Daz, posing, lights, cameras and their settings, morphing the figures (that dragon's neck was way too long), reading up on HDRIs, and plenty of other things.
    It took me about 30 renders, from simple poses to the full scenes, to get to that point, and I still can't get the fog in the background to be more a little bit more foggy. Oh well, more learning coming, right?

As a total beginner, I don't have any meaningful advice for anyone, but I want to say that I loved images by @Daedalus-7, @perlk, @SapphireBlue, @PedroFurtadoArts, and @Alias52 - wonderful work, all of you!

Beautiful start so far! Love the lighting and posing and concept. Depth of field is done nicely.

To increase the fog, are you using volumetrics? If so, you'll need to increase the density multiplier (under the surfaces tab). You'll have to toy around with the numbers to see what works best (it can vary based on whatever volumetric you are using) but just keep increasing the number until you get something you like. If your computer can handle it, you can flip from texture shaded to the Iray preview to see if it is to your satisfaction before rendering. If your computer can't handle it, you could also render out a very tiny version (reduce number of pixels so thumbnail size) to see if you like it so it goes quickly and then adjust if necessary. Then when good, you can set it back to a decent size and render.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is the final version of my entry

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,059

katywhite said:

joanna said:

Hello,

Beautiful start so far! Love the lighting and posing and concept. Depth of field is done nicely.

To increase the fog, are you using volumetrics? If so, you'll need to increase the density multiplier (under the surfaces tab). You'll have to toy around with the numbers to see what works best (it can vary based on whatever volumetric you are using) but just keep increasing the number until you get something you like. If your computer can handle it, you can flip from texture shaded to the Iray preview to see if it is to your satisfaction before rendering. If your computer can't handle it, you could also render out a very tiny version (reduce number of pixels so thumbnail size) to see if you like it so it goes quickly and then adjust if necessary. Then when good, you can set it back to a decent size and render.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm using the fog from the Iray Storm package, and it doesn't seem to have the density multiplier, but it does have a lot of other sliders I should probable play with. My computer can handle most Iray preview, but funny enough, not for this scene: I'm guessing it's either the dragon or the UltraScenery that pushes it to the limits). Thus I love your suggestion of rendering small size. It's so simple and should be obvious (duh), but I haven't thought about it. Thank you once more!

• Meanwhile in Fairyland

Beginner Challenge

Thanks for viewing, comments are always welcone.

FairyButterfly.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
  • tommyskypilottommyskypilot Posts: 120
    edited April 2022

SapphireBlue said:

This entry is a journey into color and dreamy aesthetics. I focused on composition in how I brought all the elements together and the heavy application of DOF, instancing and duplication (with all the flowers and the glowing spheres everywhere), and light and lighting effects (combining hdri, spotlights, and those small emissive spheres scattered around the character). Postwork in Photoshop was to mainly denoise and soften my grainy CPU render.

Amid Blue and Gold (Intermediate Entry, Daz Iray)

I didn't get the chance to work on posing last month even though I really wanted to learn more about it, so maybe I'll save that for my second entry if I have time. 

I love this one. Beautiful mood, lighting, DOF and the composition clicks for me. 

Post edited by tommyskypilot on
  • Daedalus-7 said:

Ok, time for Entry #2 for the April challenge. Rendered in DAZ studio 4.20 with Iray.

SPRING JOY

This piece speaks to me, well done. I prefer it to snakes:) exemplary work.

• VexillusVexillus Posts: 28

Title: Dawn of the Dread Alliance

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

My contribution for this month. It is unlikey that I will have time to implement any corrections / suggestions but please do provide criticism as it would be most welcome.

Dawn of the Dread Alliance.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M

joanna said:

katywhite said:

joanna said:

Hello,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm using the fog from the Iray Storm package, and it doesn't seem to have the density multiplier, but it does have a lot of other sliders I should probable play with. My computer can handle most Iray preview, but funny enough, not for this scene: I'm guessing it's either the dragon or the UltraScenery that pushes it to the limits). Thus I love your suggestion of rendering small size. It's so simple and should be obvious (duh), but I haven't thought about it. Thank you once more!

No problem, and best of luck! I've just started to experiment with volumetrics and it can be a bit tricky to get it exactly the way you want! :)

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240

Sorry - a bit late in the day! I've been playing around with varuious images, but settled on this one, with particular thoughts about posing and lighting. Done in DS with postwork in Affinity Photo. "Kaeko, smoking".

Kaeko_12B.jpg
    1019 x 1512 - 912K
  • Last Stand

Here is another...

Comments always welcome....

LastStand.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
  • StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited April 2022

Even later! A second entry: "Midnight Visiter". This started off as trying to copy the pose in the painting, "The Light of the World" and also experinmenting with instancing a row of monks in a corridor. Neither of them worked out, and this was what i ended up doing: nothing like I started off with, but an interesting journey! (DS with postwork in Affinity Photo.)

Midnight Visiter.jpg
    1164 x 1512 - 898K
    Post edited by Stargazey on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,817
    edited May 2022

This Challenge is Now Closed. Thanks to everyone who participated heart

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 846

End of the month went past so quickly. Great renders everyone!
    joanna Very lovely composition with the light and characters appearing out of the darkness in the center.
    tommyskypilot Love the vivid coloring and composition of your fairyland - very nice! And thank you!
    Stargazey Post work and color palette are really great in your "Kaeko, smoking". Wonderful composition!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

I will be the one announcing the New Users challenge showcase for this month

For the Beginners Challenge we have

tommyskypilot Meanwhile in Fairyland

beautifully composed complex scene with excellent creative lighting

Fettbemme Industrie-Stadtbau

great design and the fog combines with the light bring out a special atmosphere

vpzammit Dawn of the Dread Alliance

fitting for May the 4th a nice scene with a great use of props and characters

for the indermediate challenge we have

SapphireBlue  Amid Blue and Gold

wonderull dreamy portrait with point on focus and a great choice in colour scheme

HLEET_3D Tiger's surprise attack on dragon

action shot in the mist showing good dynamics and gives room to the size of the dragon

frodopoes Raising the Dead

portrait of dark in dark requires a precise use of light, which we can see here

and finally the new user welcome goes to

joanna Heart of Corruption

thanks everybody for participating

• perlkperlk Posts: 847

Congrats, all!

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

Great work, everyone!

• tommyskypilottommyskypilot Posts: 120

Wow, thanks!

• Congrats everyone!

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 846

Thanks so much and for the lovely comment too!
    Congratulations to those showcased! I enjoyed all the great and inspiring renders this month. Cheers!

• HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172

Congrats everyone