Can you delete parts of an item completely?

karlkarl Posts: 66

I'm not sure if I have even worded that properly! Basically, I have the Galactic Suit https://www.daz3d.com/galactic-sci-fi-suit-for-genesis-8-females

I retextured the armour and visor, no problems.

On the helmet I hid the various unions so that the view of the face isn't obscured - there is instead a full visor, with point lights added inside to illuminate the face, as in the attached. I did this by selecting the parts I didn't want to see, and making them 0% opacity.

However, although it seems okay, either the now-invisible parts are still there, or somethign else such as the characters lips are distorting the visor. It doesn't look too bad from the front, but when viewed from the side it isn't a smooth curve, but has lumpy bits of glass stuck out. (I am currently in Linux so can't grab a screenshot, but could go into Windows later and get one - I only have Windows on my dual-boot PC for Daz, I wish it worked in Linux so I could dispense with Windows entirely!)

So it could be that I need to delete those items enirely from the surfaces tab (is that possible, rather than just making them transparent?). Or maybe the visor somehow conforms to the character's face? I find Daz to be pretty tricky when there are hardshell elements like armour which shouldn't change shape, but end up wrapping around boobs etc. I tried using morphs to flatten breasts, but then whatever is over them sometimes adopts concentric circles like pond ripples, which look worse than the bulges.

2022-03-31.jpg
2174 x 2174 - 1M
Post edited by karl on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

You can delete polygons with the Geometry Editor tool.

But I don't think that will solve your problem, as I think your problem is that the visor is conforming. You can test is by trying to dial the lips to a different shape.

If so, you can for the visor try to enable hidden in parameters and then show  currently used. Then there probably is a projection morph, which you can try to dial down and see if that improves your problem.

Another solution is to take it into a modeller and make a corrective morph.

• karlkarl Posts: 66

Thanks Felis. I activated the Geometry Editor tool but it didn't seem to do anything, so it's probably a case of one of the areas where Daz is obtuse if you don't already know what to do.

However, my tests suggest you're right that the visor is reshaping itself to follow a face, even though it isn't touching that face, rather than keeping a smooth shape. The images show the side view as was, and the side view when I changed the nose and lips (different distortions).

I tried to find the settings you mention in Parameters but they weren't there (I also searched for them by name).

The third image is the best I could do - I tried stuff at random, and have highlighted the settings I changed to make the bulge at least a bit smoother, since I can't seem to get rid of it.

2.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 606K
    1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 567K
    3.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 586K
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,195

Select the Parameters tab.

Click the "burger" menu (the 3 horizontal bars) and enable show hidden.

Select the visor in the scene tab

Click 'Currently used'. It is beside the paramater tab on your images.

What you wan't to see is the projection morphs, because it is them deforming the visor, and they are hidden.

Gotcha! Will try that later. Thanks!

That worked!

So, my process was this:

Select the Parameters tab.

Click the 3 line settings icon above parameters> Preferences > Show hidden properties. Select helmet in Scene, then Currently Used in Parameters.

The one that seemed to work (see attached pic) was FHMCelani8, which I changed to 0% - so that must have been the hidden projection morph deforming the visor.

Many thanks! I then had the fun of battling to put light strip rectangles in the helmet, but I won that (mostly) after an hour! :-)

4.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 560K