Setup Materials for Filter by Context in SmartContent

I'm trying to connect compatible materials to wearables so they show up in SmartContent when the wearable is selected in the scene. Both the wearable and the material is in the same product. I've created a compability base for the wearable and used this as compability for the material.

I've also set the category for the material.

The material shows in correct category in SmartContent when filter by context is unchecked ...

... but not when the wearable is selected and the filter by context is checked - yes, I've checked that there is no active filter in SmartContent. What more is needed to make the filter match?

Any lead whould be helpful.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438
    edited April 2022

I think your CompatibilityBase is (edit) backwards incomplete. A Product has assets, and a CompatibilityBase is made from Product/Asset. Let's say your Product is "LowCutAnkleSocks", then the CompatibilityBase for each sock would be "LowCutAnkleSocks\Socks L" and "LowCutAnkleSocks\Socks R".

To get your assets into the list of available CompatibilityBases, you must add the assets to the Product. You can do a whole folder and sub-folders, or one asset at a time. A Product will be created when you do it the first time, or will ask to be added to an existing Product. When adding a CompatibilityBase, select the appropriate Sub-CompatibilityBase from the list under your Product when prompted.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • minaRedminaRed Posts: 8

NorthOf45 said:

I think your CompatibilityBase is (edit) backwards incomplete. A Product has assets, and a CompatibilityBase is made from Product/Asset. Let's say your Product is "LowCutAnkleSocks", then the CompatibilityBase for each sock would be "LowCutAnkleSocks\Socks L" and "LowCutAnkleSocks\Socks R".

To get your assets into the list of available CompatibilityBases, you must add the assets to the Product. You can do a whole folder and sub-folders, or one asset at a time. A Product will be created when you do it the first time, or will ask to be added to an existing Product. When adding a CompatibilityBase, select the appropriate Sub-CompatibilityBase from the list under your Product when prompted.

In this example, the product name is "amy_aimei" - I created it myself and both the asset and the material belongs to that product. Cannot see that the compability base is connected to a product; the compability base is defined separately as /<root name>/<sub name> in the database - I've created the compability base in the this example myself. It seems to me that the compability base can be named anything as long as the connected compability (from the material) is the same. I've checked in other produkts - which for the context folter works - and that's how they seem to do it.

Okay, Product is "amy_aimei", but you have two wearable presets called "Socks L" and "Socks R". Is each one a "LowCutAnkleSocks" geometry? Left and right are usually different. There should be one CompatibilityBase for each item with geometry (i.e., a .dsf file in the data folder) and not just for a folder. I assume you have two .duf files and each one calls a different geometry file for each sock? If so, you should have two CompatibilityBases defined, one for each. Look at the Scene Identification dialog (right-click on the Scene tab -> Edit -> Scene Identification) to see how the two socks are identified. The Scene ID will point to the geometry file used. The Node Name should be unique, and the Node Label is the user-friendly name you see in the Scene.

Thanks, now it works! I did not need different compability bases for L and R, but I needed to set the compability base in the Edit -> Scene Identification dialog (it was None) - makes me wonder were the value set for the assets's compability base in the Condent DB Editor dialog goes.

A more advanced Content DB Editor is used in the Products view (either Smart Content or Content Library) when you rigk-click and Edit Metadata. You get a two-panel dialog that has Product indormation on the first tab, and the familiar Asset info on the second. The Product info shows how the Asset (.duf), the Compatibility Base and the Scene ID are linked together. If you Export the metadata for the Product, you will see the part that ties it all together is called ObjectCompatibility, which you can't edit directly in the Content DB Editor, but is generated when using the Scene Identification dialog.

Thanks, good to know!.