Silly question… Why would you ever create a morph without reverse deformations?

Just curious really. I've often wondered why you would not want to reverse deformations when creating a morph? Presumably as that's the default it must be the common case. As far as I can see, if the figure is a base figure / base pose, it makes no difference either way (?) and it the figure is posed, you need to do it to get any sort of predictable results (?)

Like I said, just curious. Maybe I'm missing out on some great feature!

Comments

• If one is certain that the figure does not have already a morph dialed in, as was the case for default Genesis [1] for example, there was no need to use it.

However with the more recent Genesis figures, i.e. G8, "reverse deformation" is required to prevent predialed in morphs from being doubled. [i.e. mouth and navel morphs]. Some remember to dial those out before exporting the figure to work on the morph, some forget, so it's a good habit "just in case" as nobody like the teeth being messed up ;-)

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,220

AndrewJJP said:

Just curious really. I've often wondered why you would not want to reverse deformations when creating a morph? Presumably as that's the default it must be the common case. As far as I can see, if the figure is a base figure / base pose, it makes no difference either way (?) and it the figure is posed, you need to do it to get any sort of predictable results (?)

Like I said, just curious. Maybe I'm missing out on some great feature!

You're reversing out a figure that you're morphing into another shape so that the figure, base or otherwise (as in Michael, Victoria which are characters built on the base), requires the figure/characters that were reversed out in order to work as expected.

Catherine3678ab said:

If one is certain that the figure does not have already a morph dialed in, as was the case for default Genesis [1] for example, there was no need to use it.

However with the more recent Genesis figures, i.e. G8, "reverse deformation" is required to prevent predialed in morphs from being doubled. [i.e. mouth and navel morphs]. Some remember to dial those out before exporting the figure to work on the morph, some forget, so it's a good habit "just in case" as nobody like the teeth being messed up ;-)

Now Catherine has me wondering if my own understanding has not been correct. 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249
    edited March 2022

Well if one is morphing based off of Victoria or Michael,  depending upon what one is doing -- for one's self, one can dial out those character morphs as the incoming morph would contain that character plus the new work. However if one is planning to share that new morph, then one has to dial out the character morph period OR "reverse deformations." This is to prevent the illegal sharing of morphs that do not belong to us. And this is why some characters sold in the store say they require V8 or M8, etc.  The new morphs can be made to also dial in those shape presets so the customer is not left wondering why their precious purchase bears little if any resemblance to the promo ads.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

Well if one is morphing based off of Victoria or Michael,  depending upon what one is doing -- for one's self, one can dial out those character morphs as the incoming morph would contain that character plus the new work. However if one is planning to share that new morph, then one has to dial out the character morph period OR "reverse deformations." This is to prevent the illegal sharing of morphs that do not belong to us. And this is why some characters sold in the store say they require V8 or M8, etc.  The new morphs can be made to also dial in those shape presets so the customer is not left wondering why their precious purchase bears little if any resemblance to the promo ads.

ok, yes, that was what I thought and the reasoning behind my doing it. 

• There is so much going on now with all the various characters that I find it easier to just always apply "reverse deformations" unless I'm sure that it is not desired [like when I'm trying to mix 'n match my own morphs to create another morph].

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657

Cris Palomino said:

Catherine3678ab said:

ok, yes, that was what I thought and the reasoning behind my doing it. 

Thanks very much both!

Catherine3678ab said:

There is so much going on now with all the various characters that I find it easier to just always apply "reverse deformations" unless I'm sure that it is not desired [like when I'm trying to mix 'n match my own morphs to create another morph].

As a basic user that's not sharing morphs, I've never used it any other way. I wonder if a simple, but much appreciated change for me might be to make the default "reverse deformations". Perhaps I'll suggest that on the feature idea thread, though it seems a little minor for that.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,195

I almost always model items towards the base character, so I very seldomly use "reverse deformation".

edited March 2022

felis said:

I almost always model items towards the base character, so I very seldomly use "reverse deformation".

Maybe it should remember what it was last set to like the import dialog does.

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,249
    edited March 2022

-- skip

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,892

AndrewJJP said:

felis said:

You can set up a preset that always load by default, I made one for reverse deformation. To set it up you open the Morph Loader Pro import menu, select a morph you want to use, and set all the settings you'd like to use as a default ie reverse deformation to yes etc. Once its all selected right click on the morph name you imported (at the top of the options) and then choose "Save as preset" and give it a name. 
    Select it under the preset dropdown and accept, DS will always use the last preset you loaded so now it will always be the default option.

Mada said:

AndrewJJP said:

felis said:

You can set up a preset that always load by default, I made one for reverse deformation. To set it up you open the Morph Loader Pro import menu, select a morph you want to use, and set all the settings you'd like to use as a default ie reverse deformation to yes etc. Once its all selected right click on the morph name you imported (at the top of the options) and then choose "Save as preset" and give it a name. 
    Select it under the preset dropdown and accept, DS will always use the last preset you loaded so now it will always be the default option.

Brilliant, thanks!