Suggested upgrade from GTX 1070?

The question is exactly what it says on the tin:

I'm considering trying to upgrade my Win10 box from my current Nvidia GTX 1070, and I'm wondering what sorts of suggestions the Daz community at large might have for upgrades to the ol' graphics card & gpu.

Thank you in advance, friends.

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Depends on your budget, and a few other things.

If you are looking for budget friendly and have an adequate powersupply(Card should only draw around 170watts) I would go with the RTX 3060 12GB model.

For around 3x-5x(depending on how bad you get ripped off by the scalpers) more you can go with the RTX 3090 24GB, but you many need a new powersuppy to run it.

and , If money is no object, there's the A series GPUs that price in around $2,000-$7,000.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

IceCrMn said:

Depends on your budget, and a few other things.

If you are looking for budget friendly and have an adequate powersupply(Card should only draw around 170watts) I would go with the RTX 3060 12GB model.

For around 3x-5x(depending on how bad you get ripped off by the scalpers) more you can go with the RTX 3090 24GB, but you many need a new powersuppy to run it.

and , If money is no object, there's the A series GPUs that price in around $2,000-$7,000.

Oh, money is DEFINITELY an object.

I shall investigate the 3060! Thank you!

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Here's a power supply calculator.

Just fill in the form for all the parts you have, or want to use, and it will tell you what you need for power.

https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator#

Seasonic is one of the best names in consumer power supplies, if not the best.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

I have an 800w power supply on this thing, for 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 4 fans, and the GTX (plus incidentals). I'm pretty sure that moving to the 3060 would be imminently feasible.

I'm also considering expanding the RAM on the motherboard and seeing if that'll do any improvement before I make the jump to a new gpu. The computer was a gift, so I gladly accepted what I was given, but I'm looking at upping it from the 16gb currently onboard to 32 if possible.

We shall see. Research must be done.

• GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 156
    edited March 2022

I went from a 1080gtx to a RTX 3060 12GB last year and I'm very happy with the huge improvement. Plenty of gpu ram is a must for big scenes. 

Post edited by GhostDog on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

RTX 3060s are running about 600 and up now.

• I have a machine with a 6Gb GTX 1060. It had 16Gb RAM, and upping it to 24Gb (replacing 2 4Gb sticks with 8Gb ones) means that the card now maxes out before the RAM. So, first off, get the max RAM the machine can take so it doesn't max out before the card. You probably need 3x card ram as system RAM. So, 36Gb min.. or practically 48Gb for the 3060. Less than 36 and you can't really use the card to full capacity, but 32Gb may be an OK interim step. If I ever replace the 1060 of mine, a 12Gb 3060 is the current candidate to do so. However, the motherboard can only do 32Gb RAM, so I will never get the full benefit from the card in my current machine.
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    edited March 2022

If you live in the USA I have an RTX 2080ti Founder's Edition that I'm selling off. PM me if interested. And yes, a 800 watt PSU can drive a 2080ti or a 3060 just fine. I run a 2080it on a 750 in my game rig.

Post edited by rrward on
  • Alowe49Alowe49 Posts: 40

Upgraded 5 weeks ago from 980Ti to the 3060 and the two test renders I used rendered in half the time or less - Uk price just over £500 - about what I paid last year to upgrade CPU motherboard and 32G Ram. A wothy upgrade considering the cost of electricity at present.