GPU Memory usage has DOUBLED after installing 4.20

WTH!  I was wondering why my scenes were running so slow.  My GPU usage for the scene I'm currently working on was between 6-7 GB in 4.16.  I just checked Task Manager and it is using almost 16 BG of memory.  This explains the sluggishness.

Is there a way to remove 4.20 and the Daz sdk so that I can at least use Daz again?  I have more than $1000 worth of Daz assets.  I don't want to have to throw it away because of the most recent "upgrade".

Wanted to attach a file of my scene.  Yesterday this scene took up a little less that 7GB using 4.16.  I have a GEForce 3090 (24GB Vram) and I'm only using SSD Drives.  Yestarday I was able to move around the scene easily.  Now it just stutters when I try to change angles, (even in perspective mode).

dazmemoryusage.JPG
3835 x 2157 - 656K
Post edited by karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

There's obviously a preview render running in the aux viewport.

Try turning that off.

• I usually don't have that open.  I opened it to show what the scene looked like.  It's a VERY simple scene.  It should not be using that much memory.  Even with it open I've never had the issue before.  It's only started since I installed 4.20. 

Your screenshot is of 4.16.

Can you clear your log and load that scene without having any of the preview renderers running?

Attach your log to your post instead of trying to copy/paste please.

That would help a lot in solving the problem.

The log should show how much ram is being used for what.

• edited March 2022

I uninstalled 4.2 and re-installed 4.16.   I also uninstalled the version of Microsoft Visual C++ that Daz 2.0 installed.

After I went back to 4.16 I noticed that when the scene was loaded it was 12 GB.  I am now able to move around my scene easily.  I'll wait for a while before I do an update again.

Thank you for your support.

Post edited by karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 on
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 166

Where did you find a copy of 4.16?

I too have had issues (since going to 4.20) regarding VRAM and would love to downgrade back to4.16 until someone straightens this out.

Georgehaze said:

Where did you find a copy of 4.16?

I too have had issues (since going to 4.20) regarding VRAM and would love to downgrade back to4.16 until someone straightens this out.

If you had it downloaded, it might still be in your downloads folder.

Try looking in there.

If not, you maybe able to get an installer from tech support.

They don't just hand them out to everyone though.So don't get your hopes up.

---

I'm not seeing the enormous increase in VRAM usage reported here.

There are new features that increases VRAM use if you use them.Denoising, comes to mind right away.