After installing 4.20 my scenes have become extremely sluggish

I just updated Daz to 4.2 (literally yesterday) and scenes that I used to be able to move around quickly jerk around and move slowly, making it nearly impossible to move around.  Posing has been a little more sluggish after installing 4.16 but this current issue makes Daz almost impossible to work with.

Any help?

Comments

• Additionally, just opening and making changes to the preferences has become achingly slow.  I am running an NVidia 3090, ssd drives.  To make it clear, this only happened after installing 4.20

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657
    edited March 2022

karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 said:

Additionally, just opening and making changes to the preferences has become achingly slow.  I am running an NVidia 3090, ssd drives.  To make it clear, this only happened after installing 4.20

I can't help much, but I am also noticing that the viewport can be harder to use in 4.20, also 3090 and SSD, i9 10900k. Latest Studio nVidia drivers, released 22nd March I think.

I find that it frequently turns black when you start to move the camera, and on hair (OOT hair in this case) goes solid grey. These are both extremely offputting, particularly the black screen - you can't see what you're doing! When I got the 3090, I did almost everything in iRay preview mode. Since 4.20, I've had to switch back to using the more lightweight options when these issues become apparent, typically when working on the face close up, which is a great shame. This was happening before I updated the graphics driver, in fact I updated the driver in the hope it would fix the problems.

I have a feeling it's rendering more slowly as well, though I don't have any evidence for that, and as this is my first 4.20 scene, it could be something in this specific scene.

I spent some time last night looking into it, but didn't get anywhere, and I wanted to have something more concrete before reporting it, but since you mention it...

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 657

Mine is fine today, so even less helpful. Sorry.

• AndrewJJP said:

Mine is fine today, so even less helpful. Sorry.

Thank you for your update.  I found a version of 4.16.  I also realized I hadn't updated my NVidia drivers so that was a plus.

I'm not sure what the benefits of 4.20 are but they are far outweighed by the issues I'm having.

• AndrewJJP said:

karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 said:

Additionally, just opening and making changes to the preferences has become achingly slow.  I am running an NVidia 3090, ssd drives.  To make it clear, this only happened after installing 4.20

I can't help much, but I am also noticing that the viewport can be harder to use in 4.20, also 3090 and SSD, i9 10900k. Latest Studio nVidia drivers, released 22nd March I think.

I find that it frequently turns black when you start to move the camera, and on hair (OOT hair in this case) goes solid grey. These are both extremely offputting, particularly the black screen - you can't see what you're doing! When I got the 3090, I did almost everything in iRay preview mode. Since 4.20, I've had to switch back to using the more lightweight options when these issues become apparent, typically when working on the face close up, which is a great shame. This was happening before I updated the graphics driver, in fact I updated the driver in the hope it would fix the problems.

I have a feeling it's rendering more slowly as well, though I don't have any evidence for that, and as this is my first 4.20 scene, it could be something in this specific scene.

I spent some time last night looking into it, but didn't get anywhere, and I wanted to have something more concrete before reporting it, but since you mention it...

I certainly haven't upgraded, but for those of you that did, you might want to go through your settings with a fine-toothed comb and see if something wasn't changed, assuming you haven't done so already.

• MzimigaMzimiga Posts: 15

Question regarding updating - 

I've never updated because I'm worried about my content manager. 

Will updating to 4.20 or any update, harm my content manager organization? I've spent literal months getting it perfect and if an update messes it up--- well, then I'm not gonna update. (And reading this thread, maybe I'll wait to update anyway. I don't have the patience for glitches - or losing my content manager.) 

Can anyone tell me if an update will mess with my organization?

• Mzimiga said:

Question regarding updating - 

I've never updated because I'm worried about my content manager. 

Will updating to 4.20 or any update, harm my content manager organization? I've spent literal months getting it perfect and if an update messes it up--- well, then I'm not gonna update. (And reading this thread, maybe I'll wait to update anyway. I don't have the patience for glitches - or losing my content manager.) 

Can anyone tell me if an update will mess with my organization?

Its not suppose to, but there's always that possibility. With that in mind, I would back up the system first before updating.